Kentucky Bound LWB

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well shes been in a wreck since then, and rebuilt again.  I'll get some photos up.

From where I left off, she got a new spare tire carrier (Ford Expedition or Dodge 1500) can't remember now.  This is after losing my spare wheel mounted to a 33 x 12.5 somewhere between Texas and Kentucky...  Prefer not to leave them lying around.

then after a rough few days at work I may have taken a short nap behind the wheel, and the truck decided it wanted to drive over the front end of a volvo

the force of popping over the front fender broke the axle mounts, control arms, etc, then the police wrecker ruined the fender

The next post-call day I had, I rented a truck and went searching for new Dana 30 with 4.11s, but the junkyard lied, was just a chopped up Dana 30 with 3.55s...  Ended up sleeping in the truck for a few hrs before returning it.

Then scoured craigslist, rented the truck again and headed north figuring I'd return with one of two I'd found online.  

As is typical of my family, I may have overdone it.  I needed a Dana 30 right? So I found a Comanche Dana 44, then two Dana 30's, and a NP242 from different people.  You know, for the next one.

A month later, she was rolling again. Thanks to the gents at Moab here in Louisville, required a little welding, new wheel, control arms, discos, etc...

Now the brakes didn't work, and had a terrible wobble at low speeds while turning.

Turned out the U-joints were shot, so the front axle got an overhaul, new brakes.

only piece of hose i could come up with was a feeding tube, works very well.

and rock sliders to avoid the fender damage, should the ole beast mount another volvo

• 6 months later...

Ever since my truck got finished, my dad has wanted one.  So I went for a ride on Saturday out by Fort Knox and picked up a 230K mile 90 LWB 2wd with a pretty straight bed, and damn nice interior. Salesman helped me load the bike and drove it back to Louisville.

Had about a half gallon of water in the front tire, after getting rid of that miraculously the handling problems disappeared.  But at that point noticed cracks in both front rotors, and the absence of brake pads.  So it got rotors, bearings, and pads.

Got my neighbor to help load a Dana 44, Dana 30, NP242 combo I've been holding onto for my Dad's dreams of a dually.  Leaving for Texas at midnight on Friday.  So if you happen to see a white Comanche on the side of the road, feel free to drop by.

Beautiful truck!  You're build inspires me to do more with mine, and your lift and tire combo is exactly what I am looking for.  Thanks for giving a LWB guy an idea of what his will (hopefully) look like some day.  :thumbsup: