Kentucky Bound LWB

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never been but there is a besslers pull your parts in Louisville, I go to the besslers in nky, they have a web site for both places.. if you go let me know if its any good.. have some stuff I'm looking for but wasn't sure about going if wasn't good there.

ill let you know when I make it out there, already have another shopping list.  one can never have too many rusted piles of spare parts...

as to the bumper maybe these will help, the Nate's rear bumper does stick out a bit far, but the build quality is good and the bolt kit he includes is first rate, he tack welds rods onto the bolts you can't reach.  He will also do custom stuff.  If I were to do it again I would ask him to extend the sides a few more inches to better protect the bed corners and invert the receiver so it was flush on outside and I could mount the license plate there on a flip bracket.  Things we learn, fast shipping and excellent quality for the price.

time for some interior work, turning cherokee trim into comanche

and my Dad deserves a lot of credit for the ensuing color change we ran it assembly line style with prep, laquer thinner, and then dye knocked it out in an hour or so.  He has been an ever present part of the build, mainly cursing me for dragging it to his place and leaving it taking up space when i moved to Kentucky. In between his 72 years worth of wisdom rigging stuff up has made a lot of the impossible possible.

its just called "vinyl dye." Had the local auto paint shop mix it up, used a piece of the cherokee donor trim as a sample color.  expensive though, $70 a quart, applied it with pre-val sprayers (like a do it yourself aerosol).  Trick is put it on thin and do multiple coats otherwise it will come off all screwy.

definite upgrade from the stock blue

we finished it at 0320 in the AM

and i was on the road by 0420 for Kentucky.  sunrise over Texas just south of Waco

Stopped at the brother's in Waco to shower, and I was in Dallas an hour after 4WD hardware opened so I could pick up a replacement wheel, the 2nd in 2 days (one bent, one with worn lug holes).  Then to tire shop to swap the tire and rim, and back on the road.  Got hung up in bad traffic in Arkansas, so after waiting with everybody else for a 30 min or so, through the ditch I went in search of a backroad.

As i crossed the line into Kentucky just past midnight the next day, fueled only by red bull, monster, and a Whataburger I ate back in Dallas; there was a guy hanging out of the passenger window of a lifted Chevy giving me thumbs up that kept me pushing onwards.  Made it into Louisville around 3 am, had been on the move for 45 hrs straight between the build and drive.  Only problem for the untested Comanche was a short in my power locks that keeps blowing a fuse.  Crashed at 6 am, didn't move till 4 pm that night.

It's been a long year, but Kentucky Blue is finished until I can beg, borrow, or steal my way into some new parts. Thanks to everyone on this site, and those that have lent a hand making it happen in real life.

so, nothing big, but spent a few hrs on Kentucky Blue today.  Needed a lower profile license plate light and picked this up off eBay for about 7 bucks.  Came in chrome, but nothing a little paint can't fix. Looks pretty slick with LEDs.  Blacked out the tailgate handle bolts, got rid of a bit of overspray on some seals.  Got the drag link adjusted and the steering wheel straight.

And this I'm pretty proud of, wired in a GPS tracker accessible from the internet.  It's capable of remotely disabling the starter as well (but I've already got a questionable neutral switch on the tranny, so I'll hold off on that for now).  Even if someone cuts the power it will log its last location, and you can view its location history as it sporadically reports to base.  136 bucks up front, but only 13 dollars a year to renew. I picked up some agreed value insurance, but that being said, too much blood, sweat, and grease involved in this project to just let it disappear without at least having the opportunity to exchange words with any would-be thieves.

It's been a long year, but Kentucky Blue is finished until I can beg, borrow, or steal my way into some new parts. Thanks to everyone on this site, and those that have lent a hand making it happen in real life.

This is an awesome picture my friend. I enjoyed reading the back story of the trip as well! Cheers

RockMJ

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...