Electrical Weirdness

Ok, so we got a foot of snow, blowing, while the mj was parked at work. It blew into the rad, engine bay, ect. While driving home, I noticed that sometimes my radio display would either dim or go completely out. I got home, parked it. All the snow in the engine bay melted, including what snow was on my relay centre. so, as I'm sitting there, keys in the off position, trans in reverse and clutch shoved all the way in. I head a loud click, like the hazard flasher, the headlights and dashlights and heat console lights turned on. 3 seconds later, I heard the click again and the lights went off.

I heat-dryed out all my connections, plugged in the block heater and blocked all holes that let snow in with cardboard. The last time this happened, I was having issues with my alternator, it was raining really hard and my alternator went south, it was all weird.

aemsee, yes I sure do haha.

relay centre being chock full of water does odd things, thanks to snow. Sorted out for now, Ive gotta take a page from Pete's book and encase my relays with a tupperare container. Right now Ive got cardboard jammed over the battery, relays, infront of the battery blocking the hole where the snow has entered.

not so fast, m'friend.

no DRLs. Ive got parklights and headlights but no DRL's. Its just weird. There's a remote starter module hacked in there too. I haven't had any more problems. Drying everything out did wonders, had all my lights and such thismorning when I drove to work at 6am. I just went out to start it to make sure everything was still good, cranked and ran nice, idled fine. couldn't tell about the headlights tho 8)

I have a faint idea it was made a law for vehicles in 1988. I know that no other MJ here in town (86 to 91) has DRL's. Even the Cherokee's in town have no DRL's. its odd. I'm going to have to look up the law.

Maybe the law covers "cars" but not trucks? I know Canadian XJs have them, because there have been numerous discussions on the NAXJA forum about trouble-shooting (or just shooting) them. But I don't know what year they first showed up in the XJ.

• 5 months later...