Oil dipstick length

I'm new to the forum, just got my 1989 Comanche two days ago. I am in the process of cleaning up previous owner problems. He installed a fancy chrome dipstick and handle, but the only marking on the stick is "Taiwan" :wall: :wall: Could one of you fine folks give me the measurements from the flange to the end of the stick and the location of the full and add marks?

I have owned several Jeeps, and this new to me 89 model is going to be a learning experience. It's definetly not a CJ... :D :D

When asking for help it helps if you give all the information relative to the problem in the first inquiry. Your question relates to the engine so giving the engine size and year would be relative. Giving the Jeep color and rear axle ratio would not.

There were 2 engine options for 1989. A 2.5 and a 4.0.

The dipstick for the 4.0 as measured from the top of the bell to the 'FULL' mark= 21 5/8 inches. To the 'ADD' mark=22 7/16 in. Overall length= 23 7/8 in

For the 2.5 engine to the 'FULL' mark= 20 5/8 in. to the 'ADD' mark=21 9/16 in. overall length=23 7/8 in.

Another way would be to change the oil and oil filter. That should be SOP when purchasing a used vehicle. Replace filter, and drain plug and fill with proper amount of oil. 4 Cyl engine= 4 quarts. 6 cylinder engines= 6 quarts. Start engine let run a couple minutes. Turn engine off. Let set a couple minutes. Check dip stick. That will be the correct level. Welcome to the club and good luck with the truck. jamminz.gif

"Mitt Romney" means your Jeep is screwed and now belongs to the GOP. :fs2:

:D

If you've never heard of him,

spend a couple minutes looking up Mitt's dad George Romney.

He was without a doubt the best President AMC ever had,

turned the merger of the two independents, Hudson & Nash into a profitable auto manufacturer that could take on the big three.

It's a shame he resigned AMC for a career in politics in '62,

the company was never as well run, or as profitable after he left.

If Mitt has 10% of the common sense & business sense of his dad,

he could run circles around our current president.

(I don't think Mitt is the absolute best guy for the job,

just comparing him to the guy doing it now)

I don't think you can use the stock dip stick as a guide because you said the PO replaced the tube and the stick. You will need to drain the oil and refill with the proper amount and mark the stick.

Said no such thing. Said he replaced the stick and handle.

Anybody here familiar with Henrys' first products? 1908 Model T Fords. Very unique oil checking system. No dipstick. No gauge. Just a petcock on the bottom of the oil pan. Open the petcock. If oil came out you were OK. No oil, you added a qt. Must of been hard on engines if that was the last drop in the crankcase.

I don't think you can use the stock dip stick as a guide because you said the PO replaced the tube and the stick. You will need to drain the oil and refill with the proper amount and mark the stick.

Said no such thing. Said he replaced the stick and handle.

Anybody here familiar with Henrys' first products? 1908 Model T Fords. Very unique oil checking system. No dipstick. No gauge. Just a petcock on the bottom of the oil pan. Open the petcock. If oil came out you were OK. No oil, you added a qt. Must of been hard on engines if that was the last drop in the crankcase.

My Bad. If thats the case anouther option is to go to the Pull-A Part and get a dipstick for $3.42.

FWIW,

I had 3 or 4 4.0l dipsticks left over from stripped Cherokee's & Comanche's,

They were all a little different from each other.

About a half a quart difference from the shortest to the longest.

I want to thank everyone for the quick replies.

Thank you for "The Spanking" :no: I should have given you the engine spec. 6 cyl

Thank you for The humor. :D If we couldn't laugh, we couldn't enjoy our hobby.

Thank you for the history lesson. :smart:

I'll be back. comanche.gif

• 9 years later...
  • Eagle locked this topic