C101 connector?

My understanding is that 87 and 88 MJ's had the infamous C101 connector. I have a 88 pioneer that has no such connector. The bracket is on the fire wall above the MC but no connector. The wiring harness looks to be unmolested and stock so I don't think the connector was removed :dunno:.

Did some 88's come without the connector form the factory?

"J" is the 10th digit and it has a bracket, I'll get a pic tomorrow. I guess it could have had the mod done to it at the dealer back in the day, like Eagle had done. If it's been modded it was professionally done.

J is 88. There was no dealer mod to remove the C101 connector. I was Service Manager and Shop Foreman at a Jeep dealer from 1981 til 1992. The only thing the factory suggested was cleaning the C101 and I'm pretty sure that was't in a bulletin, but a verbal suggest from the guys at JeepTech.

There was a wiring mod to bypass the C101 with the CPS wires and have them go directly to the ECU.

J is 88. There was no dealer mod to remove the C101 connector. I was Service Manager and Shop Foreman at a Jeep dealer from 1981 til 1992. The only thing the factory suggested was cleaning the C101 and I'm pretty sure that was't in a bulletin, but a verbal suggest from the guys at JeepTech.

Sorry, but that's incorrect. It wasn't a recall, but there WAS a TSB to cut out the C101 and splice all the wires. It came out in late '89 or '90. The difference between a recall and a TSB, of course, is that the customer gets raped for the TSBs. I had it done on my '88 Cherokee, and it resulted in NONE of the improvements the service manager told me it would generate. So on the Comanches I leave the C101 intact.

This is different from the CPS bypass. That was a separate harness that got run through a new hole in the firewall, directly from the CPS connector into the ECU.

Sorry, but that's incorrect. It wasn't a recall, but there WAS a TSB to cut out the C101 and splice all the wires. It came out in late '89 or '90. The difference between a recall and a TSB, of course, is that the customer gets raped for the TSBs. I had it done on my '88 Cherokee, and it resulted in NONE of the improvements the service manager told me it would generate. So on the Comanches I leave the C101 intact.

This is different from the CPS bypass. That was a separate harness that got run through a new hole in the firewall, directly from the CPS connector into the ECU.

Then why can't I find it in my factory TSB manuals out in the garage and why don't I remember it? Please provide the TSB for us to see.

Let's see a pic of it.

What's the 10th digit in your VIN?

If it never had the C101, I doubt the bracket would be there. Never seen that.

Here ya go, sorry for the crappy 2nd picture but I'm not going back out to the shop again in my underwear to take another. :D

Then why can't I find it in my factory TSB manuals out in the garage and why don't I remember it? Please provide the TSB for us to see.

I have no idea why you can't find it or don't remember it. I certainly don't have it -- I never worked at a dealership. I saw it when I had the job done, but that was 22 years ago.

I have no idea why you can't find it or don't remember it. I certainly don't have it -- I never worked at a dealership. I saw it when I had the job done, but that was 22 years ago.

It was NOT a factory TSB. Perhaps a dealership service manager sold you the repair?

Many/most TSBs were covered under warranty and were not required to be paid for by the vehicle owner within the vehicle's warranty period..

I read the TSB somewhere...I'll try to "relocate" the article.

Meanwhile, I'll tell you my 87 had the C101, and I simply replaced the 87 harness with an 89 harness without the connector. Left the bracket there for awhile until it aggravated me and then drilled out the rivets and sealed the holes.

Maybe the harness was simply replaced like mine.

I read the TSB somewhere...I'll try to "relocate" the article.

Meanwhile, I'll tell you my 87 had the C101, and I simply replaced the 87 harness with an 89 harness without the connector. Left the bracket there for awhile until it aggravated me and then drilled out the rivets and sealed the holes.

Maybe the harness was simply replaced like mine.

Good call, might just be the case. I was under the dash last night and I did notice the fuse block is mounted upside down. Maybe the results of a past harness swap or modification. :dunno: