Bought My First Pistol Saturday

Blue88Comanche

Saturday I spent all day Driving around Baldwin County, AL in crappy weather looking for the Gun show. We looked at a bunch of pistols and held several, but never really finding anything in my budget. On our way home we tried to go to several pawn Shops but most were closed, the Last one before the interstate was open. He only had one Sig 226, and the Price tag said $600 which was just over budget. We talked for a while then I finally asked about the gun, he took it out of the case and I looked over it and he said "I can sell it to you for $450". So 30 minutes later I am the proud new owner of a 9mm 226.

That night when i finally got home I took it apart and it seems to have been well maintained. so i cleaned and oiled everything. When I get my Pistol Permit I will be able to Take it to the range for the real test. if it doesn't work then the Pawn shop will pay for the repairs.

Upon further research my Sig was proofed in 1985. I will post more pics tonight when i get home from work.

425212_3284290666637_1248744812_3397772_827209381_n.jpg

I don't live in AL so I don't know the laws but why do you need to wait for a permit to go to the range? Just curious

Probably because that's what AL law says. The laws of each state are different, ya know.

In my home state, without a carry permit we are only allowed to transport a firearm from the shop to home, from home to a shop to sell it, and from home to a repair shop and then bring it back. Beyond that, I can't even stand in my own front yard with a handgun if I don't have a permit. Can't take it outside of the house. Definitely can't take it to the range or have it in a vehicle -- even if it's not loaded.

I don't live in AL so I don't know the laws but why do you need to wait for a permit to go to the range? Just curious

Probably because that's what AL law says. The laws of each state are different, ya know.

In my home state, without a carry permit we are only allowed to transport a firearm from the shop to home, from home to a shop to sell it, and from home to a repair shop and then bring it back. Beyond that, I can't even stand in my own front yard with a handgun if I don't have a permit. Can't take it outside of the house. Definitely can't take it to the range or have it in a vehicle -- even if it's not loaded.

I was just surprised that Alabama had that strict of a hand gun law, Alabama has reciprocity agreement with NC for concealed carry so I assumed laws would be simmilar. I am however not surprised about what you tell me about Connecticut law. In most (not all) southern states open carry is legal.

But back on subject Congrats to Blue88Comanche on his purchase :banana:

The wife and I recently took the concealed carry class, and I'm waiting on my permit to finish coming through the sheriffs office. We are looking for another carry gun too, but I'm not sure Ill have a budget as good as yours. I look forward to seeing more pics and seeing how it works out for you. Enjoy!

Must be a specific Bama county thing for the OP. I got my pistol permit from my local county sheriff's office. Took about a week for the background check, cost $7.50. The permit authorizes you to carry it unloaded in your vehicle and transport it anywhere in the state or any other state that recognize the AL pistol permit reciprocal agreement (most all the southern states). While in transport ammo must be in a locked container not in the glove compartment or readily accessible - read trunk or pickup bed.

Have Fun,

Alabama's Pistol Laws are a little twisted in my opinion. Alabama is now an Open Carry state meaning you can walk around town without a pistol permit as long as the pistol is visible, However you are required to have a Permit to transport your pistol in a vehicle. I could Open Carry walk to the 20 miles to the shooting range if i want but i can't transport it in my Jeep. the ONLY times i can transport without a permit as previously stated are from the place of purchase to my home or place of business, but once home or at work it can't be transported from one to the other.

however as long as i am on my property I can have it in my Jeep and conceal carry if i want, its just the public that requires a permit.

Must be a specific Bama county thing for the OP. I got my pistol permit from my local county sheriff's office. Took about a week for the background check, cost $7.50. The permit authorizes you to carry it unloaded in your vehicle and transport it anywhere in the state or any other state that recognize the AL pistol permit reciprocal agreement (most all the southern states). While in transport ammo must be in a locked container not in the glove compartment or readily accessible - read trunk or pickup bed.

In Alabama its the county sheriff that gives out the permits, and each county has different requirements. My requirements for Mobile County are, because i am under 25 I must provide a copy of my Diploma or GED, have 2 letters of recommendation stating my character and judgment, submit the permit application and pay $20. and because AL is a MAY issue state the Sheriff could may or may not allow me to have a permit depending on his judgment or mood.

Although I am a huge proponent of States' rights vs. Federal regulations, I would love to see some standardization on this so a person who is perfectly legal in one state doesn't get jammed up because they crossed a state line.

Mostly is standardized, and it's getting better. All the below states recognize Alabama pistol licenses / transport regs and vice-verse. Of course you will always have those states like CA, CT, NY, MA, WA, etc. that will never conform and always do their own thing.

Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho,

Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana,, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri,

New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma,

South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Wyoming

Although I am a huge proponent of States' rights vs. Federal regulations, I would love to see some standardization on this so a person who is perfectly legal in one state doesn't get jammed up because they crossed a state line.

Ok, back to topic:

This sould help I don't know all the details but the NRA supports it's passing.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/conceal ... ouse-bill/