Rear springs & SOA questions

Sorry if a dumbass question but I have never seen an MJ in the flesh yet(!)

Why are the MJs AOS not SOA as per an XJ?

I am not going to find MJ parts this side of the pond, and I am collecting a D44 axle tomorrow & want to sort out the springs asap (my truck arrives next saturday) so I can get the rear end sorted.

I am after a 3" lift on it (maybe 4 on the rear) so what should I do? Will a 2" lift spring off an XJ and a SOA setup on my axle give me the lift I want?

Help out an MJ virgin please :oops:

Problem with XJ springs is that they are too short so they won't even bolt into an MJ.

Not the only problem, XJ leaves are also basically flat. Even if they were the correct length, it would drop down the back of an MJ quite a bit.

I think what may be being forgotten here is that SOA or SUA has absolutely nothing to do with the spring itself. It is solely dependent on where the spring perches are on the axle. Going SOA in an MJ doesn't even require you to remove the leaves.

Here's a little diagram for figuring how much lift you'll get by going SUA to SOA.

20240_242111084059_762289059_3086859_5782987_n.jpg

(where it says spring width, it should say spring thickness)

SOA on stock springs usually nets around 5.5" of lift depending on what spring perches you use. To get the truck to sit level you will probably need 6.5" lift in front. On top of that, a SOA design will increase axle wrap or spring wrap, which can be a serious problem with larger tires and our soft, long leaf springs.

If you are only wanting to lift the front 3"-4.5", I would go with a set of 4.5" rear springs (Hell Creek or Motion Offroad) and mount the axle SUA like the stock setup.