Brake Calipers for individual sale

So, since I already have the welded on brackets and disc brake setup in the rear, I was wondering if anybody could pin down where I could buy just an individual brake caliper with an emergency brake attachment to it without having to buy the whole 400 dollar kit. I would like to spend less money on this, and if I already have half the parts, why not. It's an old 1979 ford 9 inch axle with a single piston caliper and some 11" discs(I think).

i take it you don't know what kit you have? alot of dana 44's use zj or exploder cailpers bracets etc. take the caliper off and go to napa or some compentent parts store and if they have any kind of customer service they will order a few calipers in and compare. there should be a casting number on the calipers that they can cross reference in theyre computer system to get an idea of what they are.

So, since I already have the welded on brackets and disc brake setup in the rear, I was wondering if anybody could pin down where I could buy just an individual brake caliper with an emergency brake attachment to it without having to buy the whole 400 dollar kit. I would like to spend less money on this, and if I already have half the parts, why not. It's an old 1979 ford 9 inch axle with a single piston caliper and some 11" discs(I think).

It sounds like you are talking about a disk brake kit backing plate assembly. I guessing here, because of what you're not saying. But it sounds like a Teraflex Ford Explorer rear disk brake kit. Does what you're looking for look like the disk brake adapter plates (on top) here?

TMI-4354420.jpg

If so, you can get the plates only from TeraFlex. Different plates for the D35 c-clip and the D35 and D44 rears because of the axle flange bolt pattern.

No, I've had a decent look at the Teraflex kit, and although I like it, the issue I'm having is that the PO bought a brake kit without the e brake caliper. It is a complete disc brake kit, just missing the e brake. I have a welded on piece that looks like the brackets on the right side, not that they are the same ones... :roll:

And also, this is for my rear 9" axle

There seems to be some confuison on the Dana 44s if you have a xj/mj/tj/zj Dana 44 with a 4.5 bolt pattern you can do a disk swap with the little drum brake. It is a oe design and equipment on tjs and zjs.

What the orignal poster has if I understand right is a aftermarket rear disk kit. Those kits give you a ford or jeep rotor from the 80s that was orignaly used on the front. They then give you a chevy caliper to go on a custom braket which orginaly was also for the front.

This leaves you with no ebrake but luckly some caddys had the same caliper on the back with a spot for a cable for the ebrake. It is all on the caliper and that is what you need.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after some research, I found out why it's so difficult to find these caliper. Turns out, the po welded on the GM big bore brackets, so it has a 7" mount to mount spacing. They don't make a whole lot of REAR brake calipers for that size especially with the e brake. I found only one company that makes them, and they are $160 a piece, including banjo bolts, slide bolts, spacers and pads. I would need to buy the cables separately, and then figure a way to rig an e brake into the truck, since it didn't have one to begin with.