Ba10 bad slave cylinder quick fix??

I still have the Ba10 in my truck :fs1: but I have a 98 Cherokee to do the full swap. thing is that I have my truck at my house with a now bad again slave cylinder. I need to get it up to a friends shop for the swap. is there any way to ghetto a fix together without getting to involved? I would assume that you have to pull the tranny off at least and if it comes to that I will just find a way to trailer it up.

I still have the Ba10 in my truck :fs1: but I have a 98 Cherokee to do the full swap. thing is that I have my truck at my house with a now bad again slave cylinder. I need to get it up to a friends shop for the swap. is there any way to ghetto a fix together without getting to involved? I would assume that you have to pull the tranny off at least and if it comes to that I will just find a way to trailer it up.

Just drive it.

I had the hose to the slave in my XJ blow out on my way from Connecticut to a NAXJA-NAC wheeling event in Maine. I was at a toll booth in Massachusetts when it blew. I turned around and drove 100 miles back home with no clutch. It's not that difficult.

thing is I cannot get it going. I mean it starts but I cannot get it in gear once it is started. I can push the shifter towards first but it stops before engaging. clutch pedal does nothing. if I push real hard it starts to bogs the engine and never really goes into first. with the truck off I can move the shifter around fine but started it will not allow it to go into any gear. if I start it in gear it just uses the starter to bump it forward or back.

Start the truck. Let it warm up. Turn engine off. Put tranny in lowest gear. Start engine.It will start. Hard on starters but it will get you going. T o shift without a clutch. When you let up on the gas there is a brief moment when the gears are loose, you shift to nuetral. Then as the engine rpm matches the next gear you shift into that gear. Needs practice to be perfect but will get you home in an emergency. Thats the way all the big rigs are driven. They don't use the clutch when shifting. Only when stopping or first starting.

Worst comes to worst, if 4wd, you could start it with the trans in 1st gear, and the t-case in neutral, then yank back the lever to hit 4wd low range(ouch, it hurts goin into gear like that) You can drive it speed-match-shifting up to 25mph. I limped my YJ home once that way when the slave completely died. Home was about a five mile trip.

I drove mine home 20 miles with a bad master cylinder. Use the starter to get going, skip the 1-2 shift and go straight to third - on my BA, second gear was a huge pain, and rev-match on the downshifts, and you'll make it ok, especially if this clutch/tranny is getting yanked and you just need to make it to the shop.

Worst comes to worst, if 4wd, you could start it with the trans in 1st gear, and the t-case in neutral, then yank back the lever to hit 4wd low range(ouch, it hurts goin into gear like that) You can drive it speed-match-shifting up to 25mph. I limped my YJ home once that way when the slave completely died. Home was about a five mile trip.

There's a much better than even chance this will do nothing other than grenade the transfer case. It's much easier to just start the engine in gear. It's tough on the starter but, unless you're going UP a steep hill, it'll do it.

You're right - I probably didn't do the violent idea I'd proposed - I probably started the engine with the trans in gear while the t-case was already in 4Lo. My YJ is a 4banger, and it was on 33s with stock gears back then, so there was no way it was gonna start up in gear. Sorry fer the bad idea - just start it in gear, perhaps in 4Lo if you can't get it going in 2wd high.

I may give this a try, I am a little hesitant because it was so hard to pull out of first gear and I don't want to be fighting the engine if I have to stop quickly. worse comes to worse I may be able to get it to one of the guys houses that lives half way and then have him trailer it up from there (saving gas and a trip out of the way).

Thanks for the input guys.

I may give this a try, I am a little hesitant because it was so hard to pull out of first gear and I don't want to be fighting the engine if I have to stop quickly. worse comes to worse I may be able to get it to one of the guys houses that lives half way and then have him trailer it up from there (saving gas and a trip out of the way).

Thanks for the input guys.

It's a matter of "feathering" the throttle. When you foot is down on the gas peddle, the gears are pulling and there's pressure on one side of the gears. When you lift your foot off the gas and coast, the engine is now acting as a compression brake and the pressure is on the back side of the gears. If you let up part-way, there's a point of neutral throttle when the gears aren't pulling or braking -- when you hit that point, it's easy to shift.

It's a matter of "feathering" the throttle. When you foot is down on the gas peddle, the gears are pulling and there's pressure on one side of the gears. When you lift your foot off the gas and coast, the engine is now acting as a compression brake and the pressure is on the back side of the gears. If you let up part-way, there's a point of neutral throttle when the gears aren't pulling or braking -- when you hit that point, it's easy to shift.

True, great description of what you do to shift without using the clutch, but if the synchros are trashed, shifting might still be difficult/forced.

Good luck getting it to the shop so you can get that boat anchor swapped out.

True, great description of what you do to shift without using the clutch, but if the synchros are trashed, shifting might still be difficult/forced.

Nah -- if the synchros are trashed it may be a bit noisier, but it works exactly the same. Once you're rolling, upshifts and downshifts are made by gently pushing the shifter toward the next position you want, and gently raising or lowering the engine RPMs. Until you hit the correct RPM for the gear and road speed, it won't shift. Once the engine speed matches the road speed for that gear, it pops right in.

In fact, if the synchros are trashed it may be easier on the tranny to shift this way than to use the clutch, forcing the synchros to adjust the speed of the input shaft.