Parking prake issues

W couple weeks ago I moved the D44 from dad's MJ to mine, the parking brake was working fine for him. But now that its under my MJ its not working... I replaced all the brake hardware (springs, tension cable, and self adjuster), , adjusted the drum brakes, and adjusted the cable under the bed where it splits off to both brakes.... the parking brake lever is stiff to press, and will spring back kile it did in out F-250, but it seems to not be doing anything... the normal driving brake works fine.

If you are sure the under-dash mechanism is functioning properly, have someone depress the pedal while you observe the splitter bracket cables. You should see what is or isn't moving during E brake operation and narrow down the problem.

I did not replace any of the cables under the jeep it self, just the ones to the self adjuster in the brake assembly.

the "self Adjuster Cable"

C538836.gif

I have the Dana 44 and my parking brake has always performed strangely. Like you I replaced everything including the cables. The brake holds the truck from moving forward, but does not hold as well in keeping the truck from going backwards. Admittedly I have an old Ohio truck and the rear axle brake back-plates have rusted pretty good, even though I have replaced the brake hardware. I was lucky enough to grab some rust free back-plates from Don (hornbrod) last year, and when the rear pads wear out I will tear into the axle assembly and replace the plates. Hopefully this will help with the brake holding. :dunno:

I did not replace any of the cables under the jeep it self, just the ones to the self adjuster in the brake assembly.

Then that's likely the problem. If even one of the three is rusted up and doesn't move, the parking breakes don't work.

The only thing worse is when they're rusted up and they DO move -- and then you can't release the parking brake :(