any one use there comanche to tow a open car trailer

I towed an AMC Eagle SX/4 with my '89MJ 4.o/AX-15/2wd/d44rear/3.07gears/245-75r16 tires in the summer a year or so ago. The car was on a uhaul dolly(I hate those things). The truck could pull it decent enough, given that the Eagle nearly equals the MJ in weight. The engine ran hot due to working it hard, but I just kept an eye on the temperature, and avoided accelerating hard, cruising gently home from Dallas to San Antone. The real killer was the inadequate factory brakes. I've since done the WJ dual diaphragm booster upgrade, so I think towing would be a lot easier, now, but I'll never use a dolly to tow again, ever.

Your race car should be much lighter than that pig of an Eagle I towed. As long as the combined trailer and car weigh less than the MJ, you should be ok, so long as you have a good frame hitch setup. Never try it with a bumper mounted ball.

Also, I have a friend who has wrinkled the bed on his MJ trying to tow a 16ft flatbed trailer full of junk to the salvage yard, but he had clearly overloaded the Jeep. The rear subframe can be overloaded, even with a good receiver hitch, so make sure you know how much your towed stuff weighs.

If the trailer you plan to use has electric brakes, then do yourself a favor and install a brake controller. Also do the dual diaphragm booster upgrade, whether you tow with the Jeep or not. You'll be amazed how much of a difference it makes.

that pic was a joke... IMO small trucks have reciever hitches for towing utility trailers with yard watse etc. just cause you can pull a trailer with another rig doesnt mean its safe to or smart, thats what fullsize trucks are for. sure go easy and slow but emergency stops and accidents happen at the worst times

Forgot to mention in my previous post that I had 1200# of rock loaded in the bed at one time. I was loading the truck with my mom's lil Cub Cadet tractor loader, and still had room in the bed, so I kept on dumping the rubble in. I rode the bumpstops all the way to the dump, and it took a long time to get it all shoveled out. Had to replace the rear springs after that because they never recovered their arch. So don't do that - keep loading just because the tractor makes it easy to do so. I know that lil story has nothing to do with the OP's question, but its something to think about and maybe learn from.

• 1 month later...

The cast iron motor on my compressor was 500lbs by itself. I loaded it in my truck with my engine hoist which was groaning (same hoist I used to lift a complete J10 onto my trailer)

Don't trust the bumper hitch! Get a class 4 or 5th wheel before hauling anything heavy. I beefed mine up with steel channel and towed some xjs, but it bent when I pulled my Jtruck up the hill in Skyway, WA where I used to live.