Fuel Pump Question

I've got an xj fuel tank, located where the spare was, on my 97+ conversion. The filler neck is in the bed, mounted to the side wall. I want to have the original gas tank fill into the xj tank when I flip a switch. Will the stock fuel pump do this in a reasonable amount of time or should I buy a high volume transfer pump? Rather than mess with the xj tank could I have the mj pump fill into the filler hose of the xj tank. I'd like to have some sort of quick connect so that I could fill portable containers from the MJ tank. What do you think?

It sounds do-able to me.Do some careful planning and don't Mickey Mouse it. Could probably make use of a remote control valve, AKA '72 Chevy. Had dual tanks and the valve was operated by a switch on the dash. Had to fill each tank individually. Let us know how it turns out.

Okay, let me try this again. My MJ has two gas tanks. An xj tank where the spare was - this supplies fuel to the engine. AND the original MJ tank - It's not being used right now. I want to hook the MJ tank up so that it fills into the neck of the XJ tank (just below the gas cap) using a quick connect. When the xj tank gets low I can switch the MJ fuel pump on to fill the xj tank. The quick connect will stay connected unless I want to fill a portable container. Then I can disconnect it and turn on the MJ fuel pump with a switch, filling the portable container. I'll have two switches for the MJ fuel pump. One in the cab and one by the quick connect. Either will activate the MJ fuel pump independantly of the other.

My question is: How many gallons per minute does the MJ fuel pump put out?

Instead of using the MJ pump how about this,

1. Remove MJ pump, strainer, and everything so it's just the metal pickup tube.

2. Plug the opening for the pump and fuel feed line.

3. Get an aftermarket electric fuel pump and mount inside drivers side of bed.

4. Connect high pressure rubber fuel line from MJ return port to fuel pump.

5. Connect output of pump to Y with one line plugged for filling containers, and the other going to the XJ tank.

There's several options for electric fuel pumps through autozone, oreillys auto, and other places, like summit racing. Then it can be wired up however you want and totally independent of the stock stuff.

Get a one gallon container. Run a hose from your MJ pump outlet to the container. Have a timing device ready. Turn the pump on and hit the timer. When the container is full read the timer. Or use a one qt container. Multiply the timer reading by 4.

Actually, the op got he thinking dual tanks may be nice for the added range. Except I'd either plumb mine the other way (allow the XJ tank to dump into the MJ one) or more likely a switch to select what tank the engine draws from. Don't know where I'd put the filler fro the XJ tank, though.

To answer the OP's question-

Yes I think the MJ pump is more than adequate to move fuel from the MJ tank to the XJ tank and easy to plumb. I assume your gauge works off the XJ tank? if so than as you are driving and you see that you are at 1/4 tank you simply flip the switch on the dash and turn on the MJ pump and in 7-8 minutes you will have refilled the XJ........all while driving.

It's manual that way and you will have to be mindful.

I get hung up in- if you are going to do it do it right or don't do it at all. I have no issue with 'manual' myself but if I were to undertake this project I would spend time looking into some type of sensor and auto valve to have it automatic and mindless.

That said the proper way to do is to add the 2nd door and fuel neck.........if you don't' want to make it right...? then I would simply plumb the XJ tank as I said in the earlier post.

I have run dual tank setups in several vehicles. All times a hose ran from both tanks to a selector valve. The tanks were never directly connected. When using a manual selector, the valve was placed under the floorboard and the switch came up between my feet. The other setups used a electronic control valve and the switch was on the dash and the valve located under the body. In using a XJ-MJ setup I would just run the 2 hoses to a "Y" and have switch turning the individual pumps on or off. To fill a container from one of the tanks either plumb a 'T' fitting into one of the lines running from the tanks to the 'Y' or between the 'Y' and the engine. then you will need a on-off valve in the line.

I have run dual tank setups in several vehicles. All times a hose ran from both tanks to a selector valve. The tanks were never directly connected. When using a manual selector, the valve was placed under the floorboard and the switch came up between my feet. The other setups used a electronic control valve and the switch was on the dash and the valve located under the body. In using a XJ-MJ setup I would just run the 2 hoses to a "Y" and have switch turning the individual pumps on or off. To fill a container from one of the tanks either plumb a 'T' fitting into one of the lines running from the tanks to the 'Y' or between the 'Y' and the engine. then you will need a on-off valve in the line.

I'm assuming his MJ pump is not sufficient (pressure) or he'd use it.

Early Bronco?