Lost a wheel last night

oldrusty

We finally got our first real snow of the winter here on Friday night. Got up yesterday and put the old mache through her paces. I had been plowing snow all day and running all over the place with no problems other than what I thought was a front unit bearing that was getting tired. I was on my way back to the house when I watched my left front wheel leave me and cross the road as I continued down the road in a shower of sparks. :fs1: :fs1: What puzzles me is I have been driving this truck daily again since right after christmas. I can't believe if the wheel wasnt tight it would have waited this long to come off. It never shook or shuddered just came off. I can't believe if it was getting that loose I didnt feel it in the wheel. I got up this morning and tore her apart and other than a tweaked fender and a rotor that looks like a stop sign I have to say she took it pretty well.

Not sure exactly what went wrong. I had one broken wheel stud and the other 4 are fine but lugnuts are long gone. I have never lost a wheel on anything before and really am stumped as to what caused this. I must say the old mj is a real trooper. I had to drive it probably 1 and 1/2 miles on three wheels to find a place where I could get it off the road far enough to safely replace the wheel and tire......can't stop the old girl even on three wheels...lol

I've done that while going 60mph on I-77. In my case the unit bearing separated, taking out the outer axle shaft and brakes in the process. Half the unit bearing and most of the rotor still attached to the wheel, brake caliper hanging by the hose, other half of the unit bearing still in the (bent) steering knuckle.

When it landed, the bottom of the lower ball joint snapped off. I highly doubt yours is still okay.

If you have aluminum wheels, the lug nuts need to be retorqued after 10 miles of driving and again after 100 miles. If you don't do that they will quite often loosen by themselves.

I have seen a lot of Jeep lug nuts loosen by themselves. I have no idea what causes it but thats why I put a little extra torque on my wheels. Seems like this is the same problem with yours seeing as how the lugs are missing and nothing is visably broken.

You picked a fine time to leave me, loose wheel...

In all seriousness glad you were okay. I've caught loose lug nuts before after a winter tire changeover which had properly torqued lugs on aluminum wheels. Must be a common thing with these rigs.

Never had a problem with my Ford or Buick's lugs loosening on their aluminum wheels, however. Or broken wheel studs for that matter. I've had broken studs on both my MJs.

I arrived at Badlands Offroad park (after a 400 mile drive) with 5 loose lug nuts on my driver side front wheel. The hub cap was the only thing preventing them from completely coming off.

When I finally figured out what the problem was, I tightened the ^&@#* out of them and in the process snapped off one of the studs. :fs1:

Still wheeled on it all day Saturday and drove home 400 miles Sunday before I replaced that broken one.

Well after driving the truck to work today I pulled it in the shop today after work and checked everything on the front end. Everything looks to be ok. I also rechecked all the rest of the lugs and they were all nice and tight. Obviously the offending wheel has to have worked loose I just have never had this happen to me before after driving that far. (kinda hard on the pride). The good news is that I never did get together with a fellow comanche club member that was wanting to buy my spare factory alloy to match the ones on my truck..... The wheel that I lost doesnt appear to be damaged but no sense taking chances when you have a spare.

You picked a fine time to leave me, loose wheel...

In all seriousness glad you were okay. I've caught loose lug nuts before after a winter tire changeover which had properly torqued lugs on aluminum wheels. Must be a common thing with these rigs.

Never had a problem with my Ford or Buick's lugs loosening on their aluminum wheels, however. Or broken wheel studs for that matter. I've had broken studs on both my MJs.

:clapping: :rotf:

Nice.

I had it happen on my TJ. Rolled on the rear drum, broke the fender flare, but she's still truckin.

• 1 month later...