Front end still shakes.

1990 eliminator, 5spd, 4x4, 4.0

nearly the whole front end is new, save the control arm bushings, power steering box and that funny U shaped bar that runs from one side to the other. (the sway bar i think)

tires are brand new and have been balanced many time in the last month, as well as alignment.

It was shaking quite violently right at 55mph, but once I replaced the track bar THAT particular shaking completely went away, finally.

But now there is some mild shimming at 65 and above, very predictable and constant, does not go away until you are back below 60ish mph. Its not bad, but its just very annoying after sending so much time and energy fixing the first thing only to have it occur at again.

Like I said, the track bar, steering stabilizer, drag link, tie rod and all ends, wheel bearing assemblies, and tires, are all new.

The steering box is a little loose and the rear passenger side rim is a tiny bit warped, but thats all that i know is wrong with it.

Any ideas let me know

thanks for the help.

You might try some dynamic wheel balancing, like airsoft beads, or theres a bolt on dynamic balancer, but I can't remember what theyre called. Sometimes you can balance the tires all you want, but at high speeds you may still have issues. Have you tried road force balancing? If not, that might help you out as well. You can find wheel tire problems with a road force balancer that you just can't do with a regular balancer. Good luck.

I would replace your control arm bushings at least the lower ones. If you don't want to mess with trying to change the bushings you can buy the whole arm and bushing for $30 each. My MJ did this exact same thing but got bad enough to give me death wobble.

30 bucks! that must be nice. they want 56 apiece for them here, and thats in house brand.

and if the u-joints you mentioned are the ones connecting the axle shaft to the wheel assembly, those are new HDs.

by the way what the heck is road force balancing???

thanks for the help.

• 1 month later...
Could be driveshaft,

+1, easy to pull and check, take a drive with it removed. 3 ujoints and the centering yoke can fail, plus play in the slipjoint, means lots of things to go wrong; I've been having vibe problems with my front DS and two replacements so far.

I know I always hate to hear "throw more money at it"... but you really need to replace the control arm bushings. I had similar problems, replaced trackbar, ball joints, tie rod ends, u-joints, etc and made sure it was aligned and still had some wobbles at 60mph on my old XJ. Replacing the control arm bushings was the one trick that finally fixed it.

I replaced all of them, both lowers and uppers, and the trackbar bushing at the axle end with polyurethane ones from Energy Suspension and it was like night and day.