home backup generator

mjeff87

Mine is 1/2 a car and everything runs on 12VDC except the fridge. 4D truck battery to keep it all on until I can make the motor run (doing an LPG conversion when I get back to work in a month or so) I even have a 12VDC electric blanket.

Well, we're back from vacation (at least physically, my mind is still on the ocean LOL). Generator is built and en route, install will be on Thursday......will post lots 'o pics, and I'll try to shoot a small audio/video clip of it running too.

Yee-haw!

Jeff

I love everything about this , one day I hope to have a similar system but was wondering if you would be willing to post the costs involved in each necessary step for proper install and a totall and that would give me something to chew on for wile .

Thanks , mason

• 2 weeks later...

The generator is fully installed, gas meter was tapped yesterday and she has fuel....test fire will occur early this afternoon. I've got a ton of pics, will post them along with a short video clip of it running (hopefully :D ) as well.

Jeff

Smoke test time. :banana: :popcorn:

Should be fine Jeff. I'll never forget the time when we commissioned a new back-UPS system at Diego Garcia COMSTA, and knocked out all satellite comms (the only comms there) for about an hour. Was not fun........

Smoke test time. :banana: :popcorn:

Should be fine Jeff. I'll never forget the time when we commissioned a new back-UPS system at Diego Garcia COMSTA, and knocked out all satellite comms (the only comms there) for about an hour. Was not fun........

had the sweat pumps working really hard for that hour :rotf: bet that was funny after all was settle.

• 2 weeks later...

well, everything's in.....but with one small hiccup. The gas regulator on the new generator has a tiny leak in it, so it's deadlined until Generac ships a replacement and the contractor installs it (should be by tomorrow, hopefully). We did the break-in run and multiple transfers, everything works as it's supposed to.

Herewith, some pics of what all was involved. Some people claim this is a DIY project...to them I say no way. I've had no less than 6 different guys working on this install, for a total of about 40 hours (and they do this every day, and have the right tools, too).

From the last pic of my mediocre attempt at drywall repair, this is the inside of the new panel:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

surge suppressor installed:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

analog hour meter and run-indicator installed beside the panel:

Image Not Found

pad set for generator (and they added a nice little 120V outlet for me there too):

Image Not Found

trenching for conduit:

Image Not Found

drilling thru foundation:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

generator shows up (yay!):

Image Not Found

generator set on pad:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

from inside the crawl space:

Image Not Found

It had to sit like that until the county came out and inspected it (it passed). The contractor installed a couple of pieces of conduit into the dirt down as sight tubes so the depth could be measured. A couple days later, the plumber came out and reopened the trench and ran the gasline, then covered it all back up:

Image Not Found

I'm not exactly thrilled about how far off the unit the gas line comes out of the ground, but I'll find a way to camoflauge it somehow, and protect it so I don't whack it with the mower :D After that all happened, they came back and test-fired it (took awhile for the engine to catch as the plumber didn't bleed the gas line, but she finally started up and settled into a nice little hum, barely audible with the cover closed. I'll get a short video clip of it soon so you all can hear just how (not) loud it is.

Couple shots of the unit:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

The county inspector came back out the next week for the final electrical inspection, and everything passed. That's also when the regulator leak was detected :fs1:

While waiting for the replacement regulator, I had to re-landscape the yard....I'm a bit anal about my grass :D

Started with removing all the crap the contractors did and releveling the whole area, then added 240 lbs of topsoil:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

fertilized and added 6 new rolls of sod:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

threw another 100 or so lbs of topsoil on that:

Image Not Found

can hardly tell anything was done from a distance LOL:

Image Not Found

overseeded the areaa between the existing lawn and the new sod I laid, then tacked down landscape fabric and watered the whole mess in:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found