Squeal when rolling?

I have a squeak in the fron like a hamster running on a wheel. It only does this when the truck is rolling and I don't notice it at high speeds. Just slowing down and coming off a stop. At idle there is no noise. Can anybody tell me what this squeak is? Gets faster as the wheels roll faster... Thanks!

I looked at them a couple of months ago and they were fine. I went through a bit of flood water on a dirt road about 3 days ago. Do I just need to spray with degreaser in my wheels or what?

Generally a squeak like that is brakes, but after this statement I would say one of your unit bearings is out of grease and about to seize.

To clean the brakes you really need to remove the caliper and scrub.

If you have a locked (non CAD) front axle, spray a little lube on the front double cardan joint on the front driveshaft. If you do this and the squeal goes away, it is time for a rebuild.

It could also be a ujoint, axle or driveshaft.

A continuous squeal would most likely be unit bearings or brakes. axle shaft u joints shouldn't squeek ever when going straight, but a ticking sound coming from them means one or more caps have no needle bearings left in them.

A chirping sound like a chipmunk makes is usually a u joint or the double cardan cv joint in a driveshaft.

spray a little lube on the front double cardan joint on the front driveshaft. If you do this and the squeal goes away, it OS time for a rebuild.

It could also be a ujoint, axle or driveshaft.

:agree:

My friend bought a ZJ for cheap, the double cardan let go at highway speed from lack of maintenance. Impressive....

Yeah on the ones that are greaseable (lot of them are sealed), they don't have a conventional "zert" fitting, they have a "pocket" that the needle fits into. Actually that fitting is kind of "low profile" if you'd like to call it that, so it can fit in the double cardon or yoke without making contact.

I really dislike sealed joints and fittings, the local parts guy swears they are better (I think to make more $$), me I don't think anything that lets you know it needs attention by failure (from lack of serviceability) is a good product. I always spend the money for serviceable parts when I can.

The sealed Spicer ones are stronger as they are not cross drilled through the body of the joint. Don't know about other brands.

Good point, didn't think about that, don't think that is something I'm going to worry about till I'm running locked 44s and 35s or better though.

Next level of wheeling, but I'll keep it in mind. Actually never thought about it before. Plans for the 87 are lunchbox 30 and 33s should be good with greasables.