87 comanche powersteering setup

hey guys first post here as a new member, anyways i just bought a 87 jeep comanche 4cl 2wd 5spd and i was told it doesnt have powersteering but it has the brackets for the pump so i am interested in upgrading it to have powersteering. my questions are:

what parts do i need other then the pump and hose?

is it difficult? and appoximately how long would it take?

any advice is appreciated thanks

I converted mine a while back, but did not have a donor for the pump and resevior. The pump, pressure lines, and return hoses are available, but the pulley and the resevior are not. I found my pulley through the dealership in Mopar restoration parts... I'm not sure if they are still available or not, but NOBODY has a resevior, so if you can find a pump, pulley and resevior used for a 2.5 youll be ahead. I ended up using a resevior from a Dodge Journey as we were doing a recall on them, and one of them got a new recall resevior that didnt need it, so I put it on my truck... the hose sizes are the same as original and making a mounting bracket was easy enough. If youre getting a junkyard steering box, this would be a good time to go with one of the many upgrade units that we can use, I think they come from grand cherokees or dakotas, so do a little research on that and youll end up better than stock. There is an aluminum spacer behind the steering box mount that often breaks when you take it apart, so try to get one of those too if youre getting used parts. This is the best upgrade Ive done to my truck. Good luck!

ive been looking on rockauto.com and found that for a 4.0 87 MJ they have a pulley for the pump, but for the 2.5 (which mine is) they do not, i was wondering if the pulley would be interchangeable or not?

The pulley spacing is application specific. I would not try it myself unless I had both of them in my hand to measure and compare. Call the dealership tommorow, and see if they can look one up, mention that you read where somebody got one from mopar restoration parts... that might help them to be able to look it up.

Will the later model pumps with the reservoir on the pump itself work?

Looking at my 87 4 cylinder, the answer is yes, but the air intake hose might make it difficult to get to the cap.

I think pysically it will bolt up, but I'm not sure if the pulley would be correctly in line. Would be great if someone could try it if they have enough of both engines on hand.... maybe jimoshel can look at one for us??? :wavey: