Buying a comanche tomorrow/ dw questions

Hey, guys. Just made this account because I am going to pick up a comanche tomorrow. Its an 87 with 4inch lift and 31s. I am told it runs but needs the gas tank to be mounted. Apparently the front end gets shaky at around 75km/h, I think thats about 50mph. I am buying the truck for using mostly offroad but I may insure it for a winter driver since it is 4wd. Is this an easy/ cheap fix or should I just live with it and go slow? I was also wondering what kinds of things I should look out for before I buy it. He says the windshield has a pretty big crack in it, I think most parts are the same as a cherokee, are the windshields the same?

Thanks guys, will post pictures of it tomorrow

The windshield is the same as a Cherokee.

Until you drive it you won't know about the front end. "gets shaky" could cover a wide variety of conditions. It could be mild wheel shimmy, which is not ideal but nothing to worry about ... or it could be what we call "death wobble." If it is death wobble, you'll know it -- when it starts shaking, you'll think you're going to die, like RIGHT HERE AND NOW! and it won't stop shaking until you stop driving.

75 km/hr is actually about 45 MPH, and that's about the speed where death wobble often rears its ugly head.

Let us know.

the shakiness could be just about anything up front. the only way to know is to have someone turn the wheel back and forth and check for slop in the steering. then jack up one tire at a time and shake it left-right and up-down to check the balljoints and wheelbearings. could also be bad bushings in the control arms, bad track bar, or even a plain ol' crappy lift job.

the shakiness could be just about anything up front. the only way to know is to have someone turn the wheel back and forth and check for slop in the steering. then jack up one tire at a time and shake it left-right and up-down to check the balljoints and wheelbearings. could also be bad bushings in the control arms, bad track bar, or even a plain ol' crappy lift job.

but i would also check the balance on the front tires.

Mine started to shake pretty bad over 40mph when I bought it. Turned out to be the steering stabilizer.

It has been said that replacing the steering stabilizer is putting a band aid on the problem. I would guess track bar bushings or tire/alignment issues.

If it was lifted and didnt have a proper front end alignment, the wheels will toed in, which could cause death wobble, and the caster angle probably wasnt changed as that can make death wobble start easilly if there are any other factors like bad toe, or wheel imbalance to set it off. Also, if it doesnt have an adjustable track bar, the axle will be shifted over to one side... a sure sign of a cheap out lift! Get it home and we can help you straighten this thing out! Good luck.

Well, I got it.

The body doesnt look great, got some pretty big dents in it. The floor seems solid. Engine runs great. The fuel tank he had for it wasnt installed and isnt the stock tank. Apparently it is smaller than the stock one so I need to make some sort of mounts for it. Or just mount it in the back, seems a lot easier. Anyways It is too dark to see what I'm dealing with right now, I'll take a look up there tomorrow.

i see lots of potential and it seems to have a few goodies too. -- what running gear? rear end? interior?

after a good cleaning out and stuff you will be able to make it "yours". if it runs good your already off to a good start. maybe some rattle-can paint and front end treatment.

the gas tank that he gave you may be one from a short-box.

keep us posted!

Not sure about the running gear and rear end. I'm guessing its stock but I'm not sure. Interior is a bit messy, dash is off and theres alot of dirt, parts and garbage in it but it seems to be complete. If I can mount the gas tank tomorrow I'll go for a rip and see how the front end is. Not sure about the paintjob, It will be mostly a bush truck and I already have too many other projects before I would be able to get around to that.

Mine started to shake pretty bad over 40mph when I bought it. Turned out to be the steering stabilizer.

It has been said that replacing the steering stabilizer is putting a band aid on the problem. I would guess track bar bushings or tire/alignment issues.

If that is the case, it has been said incorrectly. There is a difference between steering wheel shake and death wabble. If you remove your steering stabilizer and replace it with a piece of pipe, you will get steering wheel shake. That is not death wobble (although it may quickly turn into it :yes: ). A steering stabilizer is designed to dampen shock from the road to the rest of the steering components, including the steering wheel. If it no longer works, it will no longer dampen anything. If he has the factory stabilizer, it is likely it is not doing much.

Changed the oil and did a little 4x4ing. I noticed something making a knocking sound up front so I got out and checked and one of the bars up front was loose, so that could be the cause of the dw. I also found out I have no reverse in 4wd, when I got to put it in reverse it just grinds and doesnt stay in. Any Idea what causes that?

here's a pic of it getting out to some logging roads

Turns our it was the swaybar that was loose and clunking, we fixed the bracket and no more clunks. But still have the wobble. The thing is I don't have to come to a stop for the wobbles to stop like what I have heard you have to do with death wobble. It starts at 60 and once you go back below 60 it stops. It seems like more than the vibration you get from unbalanced wheels though. I found this nut was not even finger tight

Is there some kind of spacers that goes in between the castle but there? Because the cotter pin is too low to go through the notches of the Nut.

Thanks

But still have the wobble. The thing is I don't have to come to a stop for the wobbles to stop like what I have heard you have to do with death wobble. It starts at 60 and once you go back below 60 it stops. It seems like more than the vibration you get from unbalanced wheels though.

That's what it is -- unbalanced tires. If it were death wobble, you would have to slow down almost to a stop -- or stop completely -- before it would stop its gyrations.

That photo looks like there's a lot of mud caked on the rims. That can affect balance ...

Yeah, I saw that when I took the wheels off. Turns out there was a lot of mud in there and a bunch of rocks, here is one of the bigger ones I pulled out

Seems like it would throw off the balance quite a bit, I'm still going to take them in for balancing tomorrow but hopefully that fixed it.