New rear bumper!!!!!

I finally got around to getting a rear bumper built for my 89 Comanche. After checking out the internet and seeing the prices of pre built options (not many) I decided to hunt down a fab guy and have one built. I finally found a guy in Santa Rosa, CA that does work out of his garage. After seeing pics of his previous jobs and seeing his own wheelers I decided he was the best guy I had checked out so I dropped the Comanche off and told him to build me a bumper. I told him I wanted to keep it pretty simple but I wanted it to wrap around the sides for some armor also.

Posted pics below of what he built me. Charged me $425. Its currently sitting in my garage with paint drying on it as I type. Will post some more pics of it painted soon. I think he did one hell of a job. Told me that if he built another one it would probably be around $500 or so due to it being more work than he thought. He told me if anybody else wanted one he would be willing to build and ship. If you guys are interested his email is: balterbuilt@yahoo.com

This bumper is solid! Let me know what you think.

Glad you added the caveat about not doing much towing. It is a very

good looking and well constructed bumper, but it could be made more

tow worthy (in case someone ever did) by adding horizontal gussets,

say 1/2" thick by 3 or 4 inches wide, on the forward side between the

square tube receiver and the two frame tie-in tubes, and full bead to

the bumper itself. Wouldn't take much, and would greatly increase

the stiffness.

Ya, like I said I do not intend to tow with this bumper. My Comanche drives to work and wheels, I have never towed with it nor do I plan to. If somebody was interested in contacting balterbuilt@yahoo.com to have him build you a bumper he will build you WHATEVER you want. If you want a bumper to tow with he will build you one. I on the other hand did not need a towing bumper.

I could not wait so I just got done throwing the painted bumper back on the truck. Looks damn good in my opinion. Pretty damn beefy too! Thought I would show off my lisence plate bracket that I snagged of a 70's chevy car that had the fuel tank behind the plate. This way I can mount the plate up high and won't tear it off while wheeling but can still flip it down when I need to use the tailgate.

Great looking bumper. :thumbsup:

Do you know if that steel is something he had bent to get the lower angle? Or can it be bought formed like that? I'd build one myself if I knew I could source steel "C" channel that had the lower angle in it that yours does.......

sorry I wasnt able to take pics of mounting points today...ill try in the morning.

He had a shop bend the steel, apparantly he uses the same shop for all his steel and bends so they give him pretty good pricing.

I don't know what he would charge for shipping but I know he said he was willing to ship. If anybody is interested I encourage you to send him an email. He is a nice guy and will answer any questions you have.

:yes: i'll like the bumper. :hmm: questions i do have what would it take to make this a bumper strong enough for towing :idea: possible reinforcement by sealing the other side of the bumper :dunno: :idea: what about a step configuration. and what gauge of steel does he use. thanks

:thumbsup:

steel looks to be 3/16 thick.

I don't know what would need to be done to make this an official "towing" bumper. I would tow something light and not far with this bumper if I had to, but I know it could be made beefier if you intended on doing a lot of towing.

Here are some pics of the mounting points that were requested. I really need to get rid of that stock spare tire! Also while I was crawling around snapping photos of the mounting points I couldnt help snap a photo of my rear axle that I don't think I ever posted on here. Dana 44, ruffstuff diff cover, 4.88 gears, detroit locker. Front axle is a HP D30, ruffstuff cover, 4.88, and lockrite.