Can I drive without the rear drive shaft in place?

Hey guys :wrench:

Can I do this without damaging anything?

I'm trying to locate whatever is causing the drumming noise that's driving me crazy! :fs1:

Thought I could try this to eliminate the prop shaft as the offending item.

I recently had the LH rear wheel bearing replaced and everything was fine for about 100 miles, then this infuriating noise started. It sounds like an out of round rear drum but the drums are good. I backed off the brake shoe adjustment today so they're not touching the drums unless I brake. No difference! :cry: the noise doesn't go away when I brake either. I've tried different wheels n tires. I've looked at everything external in the drive train so now I'm thinking prop shaft or half shaft or something in the rear diff. Is there anything that could have started making an off beat drumming noise after the new bearing bedded in? Sometimes it sounds like it's at wheel rotation speed and other times it's more off beat- da dumdum da dumdum da dumdum. Also it only starts above 45mph.

I'm desperate for ideas, appreciate any suggestions on things to check cos I've run out of ideas!

Sorry about the lengthy description image_209027.gif

TIA :thumbsup:

Unless you have a SYE you'll lose fluid out of the front where the driveshaft enters the case. I've read it can be plugged up, something about rubber bands and saran wrap or plastic baggies. I'd give it a shot to help isolate the problem, just be sure to carry your driveshaft and extra fluid so you can make it home in case something goes wrong.

A much easier first step is to remove the front DS, that's just unbolt and go. I had a similar noise and found it to be the front, there's a joint between the double cardan that had completely destroyed itself (I'll have to double check the name). Even got a spare brand new unit if you need it!

Cool thanks for the replies. Yes, think I did mean axle bearing. It's the bearing in behind the rear wheel on the axle. Oh, and it's a dana 35.

Does the diff cover have be taken off to get the axle shaft out to replace the bearing? If so, is there anything the bearing mechanic could have forgotten to put back in that might cause any problems? Like missing shims.

I'll try taking off the prop shaft and see what happens as the next step.

I don't like this truck anymore! I fix one thing and something else immediately breaks :wall:

Think I'll move back into my trusty blue one that likes to work comanche.gif

Cool thanks for the replies. Yes, think I did mean axle bearing. It's the bearing in behind the rear wheel on the axle. Oh, and it's a dana 35.

See any oily runs on the inner left rear wheel? If so, check your diff fluid level with your finger through the hole in the cover. If not, smell your finger and see if it smells like diff fluid. 100 miles is about right to burn up an axle bearing if the wrong fluid was used. It's happened. Do you know if your axle is a TracLoc?

OK so the oil level is good and there's no signs of leaks anywhere around where the axle shaft exits the axle body. I've checked for slack in the bearings by grabbing the wheels and they seem fine with no lateral or up and down movement. With the wheels off I've rotated the axles to feel for anything odd and it all feels nice and smooth with just the tiniest(!) amount of slack between input and output on the gears which I'd expect. I don't think I have a tracloc? Just a standard D35. How do I tell?

TIA :cheers:

OK so the oil level is good and there's no signs of leaks anywhere around where the axle shaft exits the axle body. I've checked for slack in the bearings by grabbing the wheels and they seem fine with no lateral or up and down movement. With the wheels off I've rotated the axles to feel for anything odd and it all feels nice and smooth with just the tiniest(!) amount of slack between input and output on the gears which I'd expect. I don't think I have a tracloc? Just a standard D35. How do I tell?

TIA :cheers:

All sounds okay. To see if it's a TracLok jack both rear wheels off the ground at the pumpkin, rotate one wheel and the other wheel will turn in the same direction. I was thinking maybe they forgot the TracLok additive in the diff fluid, but that probably wouldn't cause the noise you're having.

You might want to pull the cover and look inside for metal bits. It doesn't sound like the axle is causing the noise but that's the last maintenance done, right?

Yeah the axle was the last work done but I took it off to get it done so I went through the brakes while it was off and cleaned everything. Also I had to unhook the prop shaft. I just tried the brand new brake drums from my other truck and same nose :wall:

now I'm going to take the prop shaft off. If that ain't it then it has to be something in the axle! :cry: Cross fingers it's the prop shaft UJ's!

When an axle bearing is replaced does the diff cover need to be removed?

:cheers:

Edit: Oh yeah! No it's not a traclock. Opposite wheel turns the opposite way :thumbsup:

A non-c-clip D35 or D44 axle w. the pressed-on bearing can be pulled w/o removing the diff cover.

So the axle shaft is held in place just by the bearing being pressed in? And the fail safe to stop the wheel falling of if the bearing breaks up is the brake backing plate?

:cheers:

This is cross-section of how my disk brakes are installed, but drums are the same as far as securing the axle. The bearing is pressed on the axle shaft, The four T-bolts go through the axle housing flange, backing plate, and bearing retainer plate to secure the axle shaft. Even with a snapped axle the axle will not come out as does a c-clip axle does.

I'm sorry to hear about those troubles ( and feel a touch responsible too). it's gotta be something simple (too simple for complicated comanche people,lol). you said you had just had a wheel bearing replaced before this started? ------ who did the bearing? --- I'm thinkin that its gotta be that ----or the other side one maybe ......

i have been battling some "mystery-symptoms" too - with some help from this board.

- does it do it all the time?

- only at certain speeds?

- pull the cover off and inspect teeth?

I'm sorry to hear about those troubles ( and feel a touch responsible too). it's gotta be something simple (too simple for complicated comanche people,lol). you said you had just had a wheel bearing replaced before this started? ------ who did the bearing? --- I'm thinkin that its gotta be that ----or the other side one maybe ......

i have been battling some "mystery-symptoms" too - with some help from this board.

- does it do it all the time?

- only at certain speeds?

- pull the cover off and inspect teeth?

Mystery symptoms, oh good, not just me then :hmm: It's all your fault Shawn! ;) Making me go out and buy another truck! :D

Had the diff cover off, all looking good in there, nothing loose or worn and no metal filings in the old lube, fresh lube and back on again.

It does it on and off at low speed and continuously and with more noise at 50mph+

I can also get it to start by steering to the right aggressively, again pointing to the left side which is the recently replaced bearing. I've pulled and pushed and rocked and rotated everything and it's all good. No movement in the bearings and they rotate smoothly.

I've experimented taking the wheel spacers on and off and the noise gets worse with them on again suggesting something rear axle related.

Buggered if I know what though! :dunno:

Looks like I'm going to have to keep driving as is and wait until whatever it is fails comanche.gif

Thanks all for the suggestions :cheers:

edit: Anyone know what a bent axle shaft would sound like?