Help sudden random stall

I was coming back from getting some beer with the misses and suddenly my manche stalled in the middle of an intersection :fs1: :mad: :ack: :doh: soapbox.gif :hmm: I had to make an a$$ out of myself pushing it to the nearest backstreet,to no avail we had to walk home :thwak:, I have plenty of fuel,fuel pressure (pushed schrader valve and squirted like ol faithful),spark,and my temp gauge was steady at 190-195ish,I tried jumping the fuel pump ballast resistor wires but I"m not sure if I did it right I'm looking for a brainstorm type of ideas suggestions to help me out,thanks.

check the CPS wires didnt get scratched and may be shorting out. mine did that a few times got burnt on the exhaust and would sometimes short out it never really died but would run like crap for a few seconds or so. i taped it up nd ran it for a few months till i remembered i needed a new one :)

Even though it may seem like you've got enough fuel pressure, only a gauge will tell. If you need to test your CPS, use the instructions below as they help you check for output voltage and not resistance like most tests. The resistance tests most people use can be very misleading.

Renix CPS Testing and Adjusting

Renix TPSs have to put out a strong enough signal to the ECU so that it will provide spark.

Most tests for the CPS suggest checking it for an ohms value. This is unreliable and can cause some wasted time and aggravation in your diagnosis of a no-start issue.

The problem with the ohms test is you can have the correct amount of resistance through the CPS but it isn’t generating enough voltage to trigger the ECU to provide spark.

Unplug the harness connector from the CPS. Using your voltmeter set on AC volts and probing both wires in the connector going to the CPS, crank the engine over. It won’t start with the CPS disconnected.

You should get a reading of .5 AC volts.

If you are down in the 3.5 range on your meter reading, you can have intermittent crank/no-start conditions from your Renix Jeep. Some NEW CPSs (from the big box parts stores) have registered only .2 AC volts while reading the proper resistance!! That’s a definite no-start condition. Best to buy your CPS from Napa or the dealer.

Sometimes on a manual transmission equipped Renix Jeep there is an accumulation of debris on the tip of the CPS. It’s worn off clutch material and since the CPS is a magnet, the metal sticks to the tip of the CPS causing a reduced voltage signal. You MAY get by with cleaning the tip of the CPS off.

A little trick for increasing the output of your CPS is to drill out it’s mounting holes with the first drill bit that just won’t fit through the original holes. Then, when mounting it, hold the CPS down as close to the flywheel as you can while tightening the bolts.

Thank u for the more thorough cps test procedure, I had the truck towed to the shop that i work in and after sitting all night I tried cranking the engine over with my fuel pressure gauge hooked up and turns out there's no fuel pressure,I hooked up the pump straight to the battery and got it to pump, tested the pump relay and works fine what are the ohms value for the pump ballast? I doubt thats the problem since I tried bypassing it and still didnt get the truck to start? can anyone point me in the right direction to a better fuel pump diagram circuit than the crappy Mitchell one?

Ok I checked to see if I have juice and ground to the pump and I have both,I checked voltage and saw about 12.03 volts when Its cranking and about 10.03 when the switch is in the on position guess it is my fuel pump :hmm: I wasn't thinking about it so much since my brother told me it had just been replaced when he gave it to me.

Ok I checked to see if I have juice and ground to the pump and I have both,I checked voltage and saw about 12.03 volts when Its cranking and about 10.03 when the switch is in the on position guess it is my fuel pump :hmm: I wasn't thinking about it so much since my brother told me it had just been replaced when he gave it to me.

Not necessarily... you said the pump spun when hooked directly to a battery.

Pop the supply line off the tank, and run a hose into a container. Turn the key to the on position to prime the pump, and see if it's pumping out of the tank.

If that's good, change your fuel filter. Could be a blockage in the line.