Well, I got something else to play with:

Sir Sam

Will you be able to eek out enough room at that price point? Grands don't seem to fetch much out here as compared to XJ's... I wish I could find a comparable XJ, and get out of my Grand. I am holding out for a first gen Limited H.O. though... Grr.

Rob

Not just a $#!& ton of profit, but hopefully it doesn't need much work and I can have it up for sale and moved pretty quickly. BBV is about 6-7k

With that mileage?

I don't disbelieve you, I'm just curious. I'm looking for a WJ with a 4.0 for the next DD.

Not just a $#!& ton of profit, but hopefully it doesn't need much work and I can have it up for sale and moved pretty quickly. BBV is about 6-7k

With that mileage?

I don't disbelieve you, I'm just curious. I'm looking for a WJ with a 4.0 for the next DD.

Yes, here are several comparables on CL right now:

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2664763078.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2676959517.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2655014013.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2666559989.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2612720418.html

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2698826865.html

I dunno about the 4L anymore, after driving the 4.7 and seeing what the thing can do for mileage I think the 4.7 is a good option. All the WJ guys seem to say the same thing, the only difference between the 4.7 and the 4L is the power, gas mileage is the same. Now I'm not sure thats completely true around town but from what I saw of this WJ and my 4L WJ this one gets better mileage on the interstate.

Plus its also decently peppy too.

Well, my thinking was the longevity of the the straight six was a known quantity, and having a durable, reliable engine in a capable, quasi luxo-ute would be a pretty nice thing.

I'd be interested to hear how it compares maintenance and repair cost wise to the yellow XJ, if you keep us updated on it. Also, mileage-wise, of course. :D

Ya the 4L is a known in an XJ, but give it all the extra weight of a WJ to move around and you stress that poor thing everyday. I'm really starting to come around to the notion that the 4.7 is a better match for the WJ's weight.

Ya the 4L is a known in an XJ, but give it all the extra weight of a WJ to move around and you stress that poor thing everyday. I'm really starting to come around to the notion that the 4.7 is a better match for the WJ's weight.

I have owned 2 different Chryco's with the 4.7 and I love that motor. I have had no major problems out of any of them. The Durango had 176K and still pulled down 25 MPG and the WJ has just under 100K and gets 24 MPG with a BB and bigger tires. I had to replace the water pump on the WJ at 35K under warranty for a bad bearing. Other than that that is the ONLY maintenance replacement part I have put on either of them. The WJ is probably do for spark plugs by now. If I could have found one for Betty you can bet it would have made it's way into the truck before the dinosaur 5.2 Magnum did.

I would never, ever, own a WJ with a 4.0L in it. The Jeep is too heavy for the 6 holer.

I have been patiently waiting for a 4.7L H.O. WJ to pop up on the cheap as a new DD. The H.O. is pretty hard to come by, though :(

My uncle just surpassed 200K on his '99WJ with the 4.7L with no end in sight. He did, however, have some major wiring issues with the thing when it was out of warranty...that cost him some big $$ to diagnose and fix.

Got my plates and title today, theres another $150 down, yesterday I vacuumed it out, its actually pretty clean on the inside now without a bit of dog hair and such in the interior, I still need to find a rear cargo area tire cover, thats gonna be fun, its about the first thing to go at the junkyard because people take them to lay on when working under a vehicle, out of all the WJs I checked I only found two, one was the wrong color and the other was the right color but had been beat all to hell, looks like someone dropped a tranny on it and then spilled fluid all over it, I wasn't sure it was even worth messing with.

I also managed to start messing around with buffing down the headlights, its gonna take a lot of sanding to get through the pitting, but I ought to be able to get them down to looking pretty good, not as good as new mind you, but at ~$130 for a pair of new headlights this will be cheaper and still look pretty good. The chrome grill is pretty beat so I'm gonna replace it with a new one.

Otherwise there are lots of fine scratches all over it, I'm gonna go around and buff them down with a glaze, ought to sharpen it up quite a bit.

Haven't messed around with seeing if I can improve the dents, overall they really aren't that bad, the hood is the worst of it.

03WJ1.JPG

03WJ2.JPG

03WJ3.JPG

03WJ4.JPG

03WJ5.JPG

03WJ6.JPG

03WJ7.JPG

03WJ8.JPG

03WJ9.JPG

03WJ10.JPG

03WJ11.JPG

03WJ12.JPG

03WJ13.JPG

03WJ14.JPG

03WJ15.JPG

03WJ16.JPG

03WJ17.JPG

Are the t cases in the V8s only full time 4WD? Or is it an option thing?

Most of them are 247s, some of them came with the 242s, but those are more rare.

Personally I prefer the 242 over the 247, after driving around with this 247 for just a short while I am set on that.

A good number of WJ guys swap to the 242 when they can.

It's interesting, 5 years ago the 242 didn't get much love, but in the past few years many more people are starting to like the 242 over the 231(in the XJ world at least). Interesting how preferences change.