5spd to AW4 shifting ideas

i've decided to go with an AW4 tranny instead of an AX15 from the past couple wheeling trips ive been on.

my brothers jeep wheels so awesome, and i love how the auto performs offroad, so I'm thinking definately automatic.

the question is:

I'm gonna have to do alot of manual-auto shifting since I'm not wiring in a TCU.

any opinions on which one of BrettMs (www.awshifting.com) shifters to use.

can anyone tell me how to wire paddle shifters so the wires don't get entangled when i cycle the wheel?

Why don't you just drop in a TCU? I have a 2WD MJ with a blown 5-speed that I'm going to convert to automatic so my wife can drive it. I could just drop in the shifter and shift it manually, but there's no trick to popping a TCU under the dash and connecting the wires. It's completely independent of the ECU. I know the ECUs are different for the 5-speed and the auto, but I'm sure it'll work with the "wrong" ECU.

Why don't you just drop in a TCU? I have a 2WD MJ with a blown 5-speed that I'm going to convert to automatic so my wife can drive it. I could just drop in the shifter and shift it manually, but there's no trick to popping a TCU under the dash and connecting the wires. It's completely independent of the ECU. I know the ECUs are different for the 5-speed and the auto, but I'm sure it'll work with the "wrong" ECU.

I've never heard of this. Can you explain it a little more? Do you install a torque converter and flex plate?

Yes, you would need the auto tranny TPS and a shift detent cable bracket. There should be one tie in to starting with the neutral safety switch (range selector) as well. Not that you HAVE to be safe, we are Jeepers after all :D

you could wire up a switch so you can manually drive the automatic w/o a clutch. I'm going to try this to see if it works.

you mean like all of these?

www.awshifting.com (thats brettM off our forum and naxja and pirate and everywhere possible.)

does anyone know how to wire up paddle shifters so that the wires won't get entanglesd all the time? obviously offroad you do alot of wheelturning, and i don't want to have my shifters coming unplugged.

you could wire up a switch so you can manually drive the automatic w/o a clutch. I'm going to try this to see if it works.

you mean like all of these?

www.awshifting.com (thats brettM off our forum and naxja and pirate and everywhere possible.)

does anyone know how to wire up paddle shifters so that the wires won't get entanglesd all the time? obviously offroad you do alot of wheelturning, and i don't want to have my shifters coming unplugged.

there is the more expensive paddle shifters BrettM provides a link to they are about 600 bucks, but they are wireless, so they would be really cool, but you also need a new steering wheel etc.

well i got the response a minute ago, the not 600$ paddle shifters are intended to be mounted to the steering column to avoid them moving at all, and he also said it would take ALOT of work to get a clean install on them.

so my next idea would be an XJ full center console, cover the e-brake area and put the joystick there.

just gotta figure out where i want things i guess.

I had contemplated the same thing, in fact I still have the aw4 and 242 in the garage for it.

My plans, since I already have buckets and a full console, included making a box to fit where the worthless cup holder was installed, and installing the joystick right there, where the ebrake would be on a cherokee.

Easy to access while driving on or offroad, and it would keep all of the wire harness out of the dash, save for a gear indicator of some sort that I'd like to have.

I had contemplated the same thing, in fact I still have the aw4 and 242 in the garage for it.

My plans, since I already have buckets and a full console, included making a box to fit where the worthless cup holder was installed, and installing the joystick right there, where the ebrake would be on a cherokee.

Easy to access while driving on or offroad, and it would keep all of the wire harness out of the dash, save for a gear indicator of some sort that I'd like to have.

yeah, thats sorta what i had thought about, i figure ill swap my clock panel (to the right of the instruments but left of the radio) with mums, cause hers has no electronics in it. then put all the indicator lamps and main switches that i need there. or something of that nature. i already have buckets, but no console yet.

You could get a sparco or other make of racing steering wheel. They come with two buttons for controling things like nitrous or line locks. I think they usually have wires like a phone cord so the easily spring back when you center your wheel

19050000P021.jpg

Also incidentally, the VW Touareg was available oversea's (??) with paddle shift. Possible retrofit?

http://tm-techmark.com/touareg/paddles/paddles.htm

Oh $#!&, look what I just found. Universal paddle shift!!!

productlead.jpg

http://www.twistmachine.com/products/shrifter.html

The twist machine unit looks to be the best solution, and I have it linked off my site for that reason. It uses an RF transmitter to avoid any spinning wires. You'll still need my controller to interface it with the transmission computer though.

The Sparco or Momo wheels with buttons would be great also. There are a handful of JeepSpeed guys using my controller and I think they are all using the arcade style joystick. It's very durable and easy to shift when you're bouncing through the desert.

well see, i would use an aftermarket steering wheel and pay 600$ for some paddle shifters... buuut, i don't drive a honda.

my stepbrother had a little import with those wheels and i can't stand those things, theyre out of round and small.

600$ = 1/2 of my lift. and my income=part time.

i think I'm gonna go with the game controller one.

I'm especially leery about a manual because 4 out of 5 times i see a jeep rollin in a video its because they were tryin the threefooted dance at a bad angle and lost it. does that make sense? or am i :chillin:

well see, i would use an aftermarket steering wheel and pay 600$ for some paddle shifters... buuut, i don't drive a honda.

my stepbrother had a little import with those wheels and i can't stand those things, theyre out of round and small.

600$ = 1/2 of my lift. and my income=part time.

i think I'm gonna go with the game controller one.

I'm especially leery about a manual because 4 out of 5 times i see a jeep rollin in a video its because they were tryin the threefooted dance at a bad angle and lost it. does that make sense? or am i :chillin:

obviously you haven't three-footed it down a steep, snowcovered hill with the truck in reverse :brows:

t'was an interesting evening when the jeep was in rev. with the ebrake on, and the snow still let it slide away. popped the brake, started her up and was gaining speed going forward while the wheels are screaming in reverse :nuts:

Id go for an auto for hard wheeling. I'm going with an AW4 in my rockbuggy cherokee. My truggy it if money holds out.

Couple points:

-Not everyone driving a stick is capable of driving a stick in a sticky situation

-Not every Jeep with a stick has the gearing to support the big tires the owner threw under said Jeep.

so what's your opinions on driveline impact?

do you think a stick increases chances of u-joint failure and axleshaft breaks etc. from the lack of the "cushion" the torque converter gives?

Yes, theoretically. Can you ever prove that an auto in the same position would have faired better? Drive smoother and you won't have that issue.

There are plenty of plusses and minuses for both autos and sticks. It should always come down to personal preference, not some particular test. As I always say, if you have to ask, get an auto. Manual transmissions are for those individuals who enjoy shifting and would not settle for anything else. You can have my manual transmission when you pull the shifter from my cold dead hands. jamminz.gif

As I said before, manual transmissions get a bad wrap when the gearing isn't there to support a clutch. You can't expect to climb a rock face with 35s and 3.07s unless you use the gun-it-and-go approach (which can easily end in breakage, auto or stick). An automatic will just keep slipping and slipping (and building up heat if you haven't taken the proper cooling precautions).