What would stroker motor entail?

Well, that is a HO set up. You would need to put your head, intake/header on it to make it work. Other than that, no additional modifications are necessary. You can just put it in with no other mods to your vehicle and it will work just fine.

Of course, upgrades to your throttle body, injectors, headers, exhaust, intake, etc would help take advantage of the available power.

Remi, the ad states "Head was port matched and polished exhaust. combustion chambers were enlarged to reduce compression and to facilitate polishing."

The motor is a long block, does not include the manifolds. So 1st thing you'll need to know is ported to which manifolds, Renix or HO.

50K miles. Not outrageous, but you'd need to know who the builder was, i.e. the seller, Titan, Hesco, etc.? The only stroker I'd trust @ 50K miles is a Hesco.

What was it used for: full time crawler, driver, or in between?

Ask if the seller's name (or previous owner) is Kyung. Seriously. He was selling his Hesco stroker awhile back in the same Cali AO. If it was his engine, it's good deal. It was a $4K+ crate special engine.

Remi, the ad states "Head was port matched and polished exhaust. combustion chambers were enlarged to reduce compression and to facilitate polishing."

The motor is a long block, does not include the manifolds. So 1st thing you'll need to know is ported to which manifolds, Renix or HO.

50K miles. Not outrageous, but you'd need to know who the builder was, i.e. the seller, Titan, Hesco, etc.? The only stroker I'd trust @ 50K miles is a Hesco.

What was it used for: full time crawler, driver, or in between?

Ask if the seller's name (or previous owner) is Kyung. Seriously. He was selling his Hesco stroker awhile back in the same Cali AO. If it was his engine, it's good deal. It was a $4K+ crate special engine.

Kyung's motor went to Danny (S7Tech) so that is not the motor.

Kyung's motor went to Danny (S7Tech) so that is not the motor.

Thanks for that info Cracker. I think he had the alloy head on his motor also. Good guy. :cheers:

He is a great guy and yes, he has that bad @$$ alloy head. Russ Pottenger spent some time porting it as well :yes:

Thanks Guys, I'll ask some questions of the seller. I would love to swap in a stroker but not if it's going to be an expensive PITA. I would want to upgrade the items mentioned above by Cracker. Right now, I'm only about 33% leaning toward this idea but if I can pull it off for $2000-$2500, total, then I might just take that leap.

And Danny is my housemate, so I have to listen to that motor every day and be jealous. I helped Danny's wife buy the stroker from Kyung as a surprise birthday present.

Tried unsuccessfully to sweet talk Kyung into separating the alloy head from his stroker motor and ship it back to Bama where it belongs, but it didn't work. :D I did manage to get some of his peripherals though when he dismantled the XJ. :cheers: Hope he got the dedicated RC going.

I did manage to get some of his peripherals though when he dismantled the XJ. :cheers: Hope he got the dedicated RC going.

I also got one of his peripherals - his Hesco water pump. He said that I might as well take it since my old 96 XJ was the first Jeep that the pump was ever installed on. He had loaned it to me when I blew my Flowkooler on the way to the Rubicon.

Negative on the buggy project. Still sitting in pieces in his garage. He recently had a second kid, so the project got put further into limbo.

Good luck on that. :D I've no idea of the cost, but do know the Atlas II's TCs ain't cheap. I was considering the Hesco alloy head and tried to talk Kyung into taking his next vacation driving his XJ to 'Bama so he could dyno his stroker at Hesco. He also had the Unichip on it. Kyung talked me into the Unichip (well worth the $$) but for shelling out $2k for the alloy head I needed to see the numbers. He's a very knowledgeable stroker guy.

Instead of the big bucks for the stroker why not get a 250, 292 or 300CI Chevy or Ford and drop in? Double the cubes and parts are cheaper and more plentiful.

Doesn't work so well in California with the smog laws and what not. He is better off with the stroker here if he wants to drive it on the road.

Personally I wouldn't spend the $ on a stroker. I would do a 5.3 alum. GM motor. You can make it work with your gauges if you have a old interior or a 97+ swap. I have yet to meet a person including myself that has not had problems with there stroker motors. Seems no matter how well built and how much $ you put into it.....in the end you will put even more $ and time into keeping it running strong.

I say a alum 5.3 cause its comprable power (to a 4.7 stoker) and 80lbs lighter.

I have yet to meet a person including myself that has not had problems with there stroker motors. Seems no matter how well built and how much $ you put into it.....in the end you will put even more $ and time into keeping it running strong.

:waving:

I know plenty of people with strokers running fine.

Sounds like you need to meet the right engine builders.