Can't remove shock nut

I can't get this one nut off the rear shocks, driver side.

LItPgl.jpg

I've PB'd it for a week prior. I've heated it to high heaven, attempt to wrench, and them PB it again then add some heat another time.

Am I going about this wrong or should I just keep applying heat and PB? I've put much more heat than any of the other rear nuts, and this one just isn't budging.

Been there , no fun.....Drilled a hole carefully next to the flat side of the nut on 2 sides , then PB'd into the holes and punched inside the outer loop , more PB . Then it was tighten , PB , etc. until finally a small movement , wire brushed the threads , PB and work in & out until nut was freed . You could also buy/rent a "nut-splitter" . Good luck

Be VERY CARFULL you might end up braking the stud which sucks!

Are you using hand tools or air?

Brandon

Air tools. And I'm being careful, don't wanna break that stud at all, especially in such an awkward position. :(

Been there , no fun.....Drilled a hole carefully next to the flat side of the nut on 2 sides , then PB'd into the holes and punched inside the outer loop , more PB . Then it was tighten , PB , etc. until finally a small movement , wire brushed the threads , PB and work in & out until nut was freed . You could also buy/rent a "nut-splitter" . Good luck

I might try a bit of drilling, see if I can get it in there at all. Don't really wanna nut bust up there, seems a bit tight.

Continually tap (shock is the idea) with 4lb sledge, reheat (hotter than august in El Paso), tap more, repeat, use a long breaker bar, not a rattle wrench, apply continous tension, heat and tap, more slow tension, heat and tap. If that doesn't get it off then just cut it off with an angle grinder.

I had a helluva time getting that one off too this past August... just used a 2' cheater pipe on a 1/2" ratchet and a lot of elbow grease after a liberal soaking of liquid wrench.

Good luck

What's with that area and rust? The other 3 I was able to get off with a liberal amount of PB for the week prior and then some heat, but this one is a pain.

What's with that area and rust? The other 3 I was able to get off with a liberal amount of PB for the week prior and then some heat, but this one is a pain.

Where do you live?

Indiana. I realize snow and salt, but I don't think it'd really get up there too badly to cause that particular one issues.

Got it off guys. I tried the nut buster but couldn't get the leverage (I'm only using a regular 3/8ths racket, my 1/2inch breaker bar broke back with my old Mazda's CV Axle replacement). After trying the nut buster, I heated it up, a lil' pb, and slowly got it forward. Put PB behind it, and put it back tight, PB again in the front, until it came off. Cleaned that stud up and then put everything back on.

MgwDLl.jpg

Thanks for the tips though, everyone! I'm sure this will be useful for those later.

Smear some anti-seize on the studs and save yourself some grief next time. :cheers:

I will when I do the fronts for sure. I'll get back under and do the rears at the same time. I just wanted to get it done for today and get out from under that cramped bed.

Although gotta say, it was nice and cozy.

WA5a7l.jpg

If you can find it in your area, get some kroil. Its similar to PB, but the stuff works like PB claims to work. I soaked those exact bolts for about an hour today and they came right off. Granted they may have not been as rusted as yours, but salt in pa is pretty bad too.