1988 MJ dana 44

I have a chance to get a rear MJ dana 44 for $125 I don't know much about axles but it this a good swap and what is disco

That is an incredible price for a 44. Jump on it before it's gone or the owner comes to his senses.

A disco is short for a central axle disconnect. A vacuum system to disengage the passenger side axle shaft on the Dana 30 front axle when in 2wd. It had problems (vacuum lines get caught off road and ripped off leaving you in 2wd) and two piece shafts with the larger u joints you want are hard to find.

It is relatively simple to get rid of it and run a single piece shaft, though.

I have a chance to get a rear MJ dana 44 for $125 I don't know much about axles but it this a good swap and what is disco

That is an incredible price for a 44. Jump on it before it's gone or the owner comes to his senses.

A disco is short for a central axle disconnect. A vacuum system to disengage the passenger side axle shaft on the Dana 30 front axle when in 2wd. It had problems (vacuum lines get caught off road and ripped off leaving you in 2wd) and two piece shafts with the larger u joints you want are hard to find.

It is relatively simple to get rid of it and run a single piece shaft, though.

Generally when I see/hear disco, it's referring to front sway bar link disconnects. The central axle disconnect on the D30 is usually just referred to as the CAD.

Yep, that's an excellent price for an MJ D44 axle. I found one closeby in TN for $225 (also came with an extra Trac-Lok diff), mileage unknown, which I thought was a good buy. I had to go to 4.10 so I knew I'd have to regear BUT I wasn't counting on the bent left axle shaft, ruined axle bearings, pinion leak, right side axle leak, etc. etc. So yeah, I had the whole thing rebuilt, and the cost can add up fast. :eek: Such is life.............

That's a killer price for a MJ D44!!!!!!!! Good find!!! :cheers:

We have a PAP just a few miles from me. You can get a 31 spline 8.8 with an assortment of gear ratios, disc brakes, and even some with limited slip diffs for less than $100.00 out the door and since I haven't been able to find a deal like this one........in forever, I think I'm gonna opt for the 8.8.

Straight bolt in is always the way to go when available.

Yep, that's an excellent price for an MJ D44 axle. I found one closeby in TN for $225 (also came with an extra Trac-Lok diff), mileage unknown, which I thought was a good buy. I had to go to 4.10 so I knew I'd have to regear BUT I wasn't counting on the bent left axle shaft, ruined axle bearings, pinion leak, right side axle leak, etc. etc. So yeah, I had the whole thing rebuilt, and the cost can add up fast. :eek: Such is life.............
X2 on what Don said, I wound up spending hundreds of dollars on new chromoly axles and seals to make my used MJ D44 reliable. Please consider a Ford 8.8 with disc brakes as considering I spent over $400 on my MJ D44, with a 3.73 gear ratio, I have seen Ford 8.8 axles go for under $200 ready to install with some welding and many with no issues.

HTH

Dog

Naw Joe, I'm glad I held out for an MJ D44 in spite of the problems I had. I wanted to "keep it in the family" so to speak and never considered a Ford axle. :ack:

Oh, wait! I've got Ford Exploder disk brakes on it. So much for keeping it all in the family. :doh:

:agree: w. Joe.

I used the Ford brakes on the D35 years ago because the Teraflex conversion kits were cheap then. They are easily swapped over to the D44, and knowing that some day I'd get the 44 someday, I went with the Exploder disk set. Suppose I could have used ZJ brakes too, but the Fords were an easier option at the time and the cost was about the same. :cheers:

just found out more info on the mj dana 44

Welded spider gears, LSD carrier is cracked

Pinion gear is missing a chunk

Housing and shafts are good w/ complete brakes and e brake cables

so what do you guys think is it still a good deal :hmm:

What ratio is the axle now and what ratio are you going to?

What difference does that make, Don? The pinion gear is missing a chunk and the carrier is cracked...

What difference does that make, Don? The pinion gear is missing a chunk and the carrier is cracked...

Regearing = new gears = easy chance to get new carrier, especially since the D44 has a carrier break..