1990 Minnesota MJ Project: Preservation....

I had my rear pinion seal, and rear U-joint replaced by a shop this week. I know, "its a D35" but I don't plan to beat the crap out of it. After hearing many people replacing the pinion seal themselves, and having the rear gear cluster crap out, I decided to have the Pro's do it.

The gears and bearings are in good shape, and it was cheaper than an axle swap.

I got under it the week before to replace an exhaust clamp. Had to heat the clamp up with a Mapp torch to get it off. Mistakenly put the hot wrench down next to my shoulder. I now have a temporary "craftsman" brand. (no photos) But here is the PO attempt at an aftermarket exhaust....I decided to just replace the clamp, and see how long it held on for.

• 3 weeks later...

Changed the alternator out today....and we have ALL seen an alternator right?!? Hehe....and I also finished this up....DIY Tonneau Cover....Here are the support rods:

We used marine grade spray on waterproofing for canvas. Here is the cover installed:

• 3 months later...

Still have not found my steering problem! And...Currently, too dang cold to work on it outside. (read no heated garage to pull it into. Waiting till spring. In the plans along with rust repair/paint, are....find/fix steering clunk, New Front tires, New Accelerator cable. There is more on the list, but these are the right away things for when we thaw out up here.

-E.

• 3 weeks later...
Still have not found my steering problem! And...Currently, too dang cold to work on it outside. (read no heated garage to pull it into. Waiting till spring. In the plans along with rust repair/paint, are....find/fix steering clunk, New Front tires, New Accelerator cable. There is more on the list, but these are the right away things for when we thaw out up here.

-E.

Manual Steering? My 4 popper is. I have a clunk now and then also. I figured with 350,000 miles might as well replace everything, so I have all tie rod components and a new Kevins offroad bracket/trackbar. Waiting for warmer weather also! Concrete kinda cold! But, while THINKING about doing it one day, also found my stabilizer shock is worn on the axle end and "clunks" and when I move it sounds like what I am hearing. The shock moves on the bolt, thankfully not the bolt moving in the hole!. Might check that.

:wrench: Track Bar , Don't go the bushing replacement route :wall: Napa has complete assembly , reasonably priced :thumbsup:

-E.

Unfortunately no, but I did manage to sell a motorcycle project, which means money to put toward the truck....buying track bar soon. Currently my driveway is a very large moat. Ugh. Also looking at buying the rust repair panels soon (ie, rockers)

Unfortunately no, but I did manage to sell a motorcycle project, which means money to put toward the truck....buying track bar soon. Currently my driveway is a very large moat. Ugh. Also looking at buying the rust repair panels soon (ie, rockers)

Yea on the "moat"! Frozen ground and fast melting snow makes for puddles and small lakes everywhere!!! Farmers are wishing the ground wasn't frozen so it would soak in, I bet!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

And then the water pump went out....5 hours to change it out. A slight pain in the butt. Jeep changed the casting at some point to use longer bolts, so....I was almost done, and am 1 bolt short of getting the new pump completely done. Out for bolts tomorrow morning.

Day 2, round 2. Got the correct length bolt installed and re-assembled the fan clutch and shroud....Only to find the upper radiator hose leaking! Grr. Back to the parts store....I think I finally have it licked. No leaks so far.....

-E.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally after replacing all but 2 of the cooling system hoses, It is leak free. I will be replacing the last 2 hoses next month on payday. Still practicing welding....I am nowhere near skilled on it yet. Meanwhile my exhaust system is also on its way out. PO bought the cheapest junk he could find. The back of the muffler is almost completely rusted through already....Ugh.

• 4 months later...

So, a long overdue update. While I was changing out my starter, I found the cause of my supposed steering clunk....A bolt that holds the transmission to the cross member was missing. Oddly, we found the bolt in the driveway.....No new progress to report. I am currently on the mend from a pinched nerve in my elbow, so any progress on the jeep is waiting until I am fully healed up. Hopefully rust repair is next!

• 3 months later...