46RE band adjustment

Tried to adjust the bands on a '93ZJ today. Don't believe it. The adjusting screw head is square. I don't have a square socket. A open end works but how do you use a torque wrench on a open end wrench? Every socket I tried to fit would just turn. I checked all the auto parts stores and nothing. Anyone know where to get the proper tool for this? If not I'm just going to weld a nut on the end and go from there. Disgusted. :help:

normally a 12 point socket will fit a sqare

Normally yes, The corners on this one are rounded. A 12 point won't turn it. Just slips. I tried one socket that was so tight I had to tap it on with a hammer. When the bolt started to get tight the socket just turned on the head.

When I made the original post I was PO"D and disgusted. Didn't even know if I was dealing with metric or SAE. Made a 30 mile trip into town for nothing. It rained while I was gone and my tool box was out and open. Just finished supper and had a cold one. Feeling better now. I have since determined it is SAE. 7/16X20. I have a half dozen scrap trannies so first thing tomorrow I'm going to drop the pan on a couple and see if one of them has a 'standard' head on it. If not, then I'm going to get a 7/16-20 Allen head or Torx bolt, round and polish the end and use it. I'll get that sucker going one way or another. Freakjeep93, tnx for the help. Jim :cheers:

If it turned a little to tighten it ought to turn in the opposite direction. Can you get on it with a small pair of vise grips to remove it so you can screw something else in the hole with a head on it? IDK

Had no problem getting it out. Loosened the lock nut and unscrewed it with my fingers.

The 46RE is just a TF727 with an overdrive and electronic control. When I did the band adjustment on the one I had in my Grand Wagoneer, I don't remember having to deal with a square head band adjuster. The adjustment did make a difference though and it worked great.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/torqueflite.html

I know this does not help your problem Jim. But I thought the 93-95 ZJs had a 46RH trans?

It does. Between no easily recognizeble ID marks on the tranny and being extremely exasperated I wasn't to worried over a E or H. Figured being a 46R was close enough.