cooling fan set up

I'm upgrading my manche to a 3 row radiator and electric fans,I was wondering what some of you guys were using as far as fan/shroud combos aftermarket or factory?,I was thinking of using a factory shroud but have found that there are many different ones.Can some of you let me know what youre running? I have an 89 4.0L/AW4 with AC I plan on using as a daily driver thanks

On a budget, just pick n pull an electric fan (shroud/fan is one unit) from an MJ or XJ and fit it next to your existing viscous fan and wire to a on off toggle switch in the cab.

Fit a thermo switch down the line when you can be bothered (I still haven't!) :wrench:

Also in the process of changing to two 96+ XZ electric 10 blade fans. First one

is simple plug in, but you need to change the connector.

The taurus twin fan draws big amps, and, I believe both fans come on at once.

With the two separate fans they can be controlled individually. The older fan wiring

is, I think, 12 or 14 gauge and probably should be upgraded as well. (I'm using 10

gauge which is rated for 30 amps). Fan #1 can control with existing circuit and fan

#2 can be controlled by separate temp sender, by SPAL (or other) control system, or by

switch alone, but will also require a separate relay. The 96+ XZ fans cost me $40

each at the JY. Keep in mind, the existing fan circuit is fused for 20 amps, and

the existing wiring isn't good for much more than that without risk. Not much worse

than a melted +VDC wire inside a large bundle. Can ruin your smile in a hurry. If you

go with JY fans, be sure to test them first and carefully inspect the shroud for damage.

On a budget, just pick n pull an electric fan (shroud/fan is one unit) from an MJ or XJ and fit it next to your existing viscous fan and wire to a on off toggle switch in the cab.

Fit a thermo switch down the line when you can be bothered (I still haven't!) :wrench:

The OEM 10-blade fans from the 97+ XJs pull more air than any other fan for their size I've seen, almost 1500CFM/ea. And they are the right size for our rigs therefore easier to install if you're careful. The 14"-16" Zirgo fans and the other "offshore" fans do not pull nearly the air the OEM fans do despite their inflated claims. I know, I tried them first. Don't waste your money. The Taurus fan is a powerful fan, but it's hard to fit in because of it's size in the limited underhood real estate we have. They also usually pull in excess of 30A on startup, so the alternator output and mains cable size should be increased to do it right. I did my electric fan conversion long ago like the below link and it's superior to the original setup with the mechanical fan by far.

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8342

I used a fan from 96-97 Taurus 3.8, it was amazing how well it fit to the radiator, The left side was offset about .25", I just made a couple of standoffs. The big challenge was the fan was too deep, I had to move the whole radiator mount forward about 1". I purchased the electronics from dccontrols.com, worked well.

I was so excited to show off my 2.5l electric fan install I failed to read the whole post. Now I see he has a 89 4.0, that is a different story. I don't know about the 89 but my son's 96 has a nice setup stock, mechanical/electric, two fan combo. There is a lot of engineering that goes into the factory setup.

Don't forget a relay and a fuse. I don't recall the fuse rating on the old ones, but the aux fan on my wife's 2000 XJ locked up and blew the fuse. The fuse for that sucker is a 40-amp fuse ...