FUBAR Gauge Check

Had to do the guage swap tonight within a 2 hr timeframe to get my truck ready to get on the road for work. Somehow I got it done, but everything didn't go as planned.... :shake:

Starting with the top picture; which neither are the best because my cellphone camera sucks. After I installed and drove around for 15 minutes to get everything going. Picture taken when back at my house. Need opinions and advice on what to do here. :cheers:

------

Speedometer: Had to swap over from my old cluster to keep mileage etc. Works as it should.

Oil Gauge: Once I started up the truck, the gauge started at 0 and made it's way around the dial like it was supposed to, except for the fact that it stopped at where it is in the picture. 90% sure this gauge needs to be replaced.

Volt Meter: Volt meter works as it should; no problems here.

Temp Gauge:Temperature gauge never moved from it's position in the picture, 50% chance it might be loose screws in the back, or 50% it could be shot or the wrong sender. (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Temperature-Switch/1987-Jeep-Comanche-2WD/_/N-iibciZ91shz?counter=0&itemIdentifier=61385_0_0_) - What is currently in the truck. I heard mixed reports on this not registering properly even though it's said to be for gauges, not dummy lights.

Tachometer: Needs to be recalibrated for a 4 Cyl. Other than that, it's working as it should.

Gas Gauge: Gas gauge didn't register at all at first. It finally kicked on when I was 2 minutes away from my house on the return trip. It's working as it should, but there may be a screw loose. Or could it be something else?

-------------------------

Another problem is the warning light cluster.

Starting from the top; left to right. The only one working is the Emergency brake, and I swapped over lights from the old cluster to fill in spots where I needed the warning lights filled. Anyone have any ideas why only the emergency brake light works?

Emergency Brake - In use

Seat-belt - In use

4WD

Upshift - In use

Lock - In use

Low Washer - In use

Check Engine - In use

Check Antilock

Antilock In Use

EDIT: To show what lights are in where.

the oil pressure on my swapped Renix cluster reads high as well, i think thats just 1 of those calibration things that varies between clusters.....its works though otherwise and since mines a Canadian cluster Idk if that had anything to do with it or not.

Id replace the coolant sensor again and call it good on the gauges :thumbsup:

I bought my truck with this swap already, so I'm no help, but your diagram with the warning lights is super helpful to me. Thanks!

I went ahead and labeled them. Did I read you right?

Yes, you did. :thumbsup: Also, thanks a lot for doing that, made it tons easier for people to figure out what I mean.

out of curiosity, why do any of those lights need to work? state inspections?

I assume you replaced the oil pressure switch with the proper sending unit?

I did replace the oil sender and temp sender. I'm fairly sure the oil gauge is going to have to go, and I just would like to know why the warning lights don't work. I don't necessarily NEED them to work, but a lot of them would be incredibly useful (check engine especially) :dunno:

I did replace the oil sender and temp sender. I'm fairly sure the oil gauge is going to have to go, and I just would like to know why the warning lights don't work. I don't necessarily NEED them to work, but a lot of them would be incredibly useful (check engine especially) :dunno:

On an '87 MJ you don't have a Check Engine light.

On an '87 MJ you don't have a Check Engine light.

So I'm going to assume that since the only warning light registering is the Brake light, is because whatever year the cluster was from had different warning light wiring, that's incompatible with my 87?