Piston Skirt.... how much work to replace or....?

So I dropped my oil pan and found this chunk sitting in the bottom with some metal shavings.

responses on my project page say it's a piston skirt, I've looked online and no one has any how to's

I'm thinking with my limited experience wrenching I'm not going to tackle this head on. (without a tonne of research)

Have any of you guys taken apart a 4 banger for similiar reasons, and am I kidding myself with this seemingly complex job?

there's this:

jeep comanche - $800

Date: 2011-07-05, 12:13PM PDT

Reply to: sale-rjb2z-2478387833@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

I have a 1987 Comanche i was going to fix up replaced floor boards and is solid (common problem)

Has a 4.0l inline and 5 speed red short box and comes with canopy. I also put in 2000 Mazda b4000 seats with are really comfy.

I have the entire black (rare) interior in the bed of the truck as i was doing seats and floor boards.

great little truck lots of potential but i ran out of time and I am getting married.

I also have a NV3550 h/d trans that i was going to swap in $900.

The only fix is to replace the piston. Depending on any potential cyl. wall damage a rebuild may be in order. If the engine was knocking or something which lead to you dropping the pan i'd say you need a replecament engine or engine rebuild most likely.

If you keep an eye out, you may find an XJ that the owner rolled and is selling for parts. Swap the drivetrain, sell off some parts, and scrap the rest - if you buy it right, you may end up coming out ahead on the deal.

The problem with just buying a 4.0 longblock from eBay or wherever is that you'll need a transmission too - whatever is bolted up behind your 2.5 won't last long with all the torque from the six. Usually cheaper to find a running/driving XJ than to buy separate.

If you keep an eye out, you may find an XJ that the owner rolled and is selling for parts. Swap the drivetrain, sell off some parts, and scrap the rest - if you buy it right, you may end up coming out ahead on the deal.

The problem with just buying a 4.0 longblock from eBay or wherever is that you'll need a transmission too - whatever is bolted up behind your 2.5 won't last long with all the torque from the six. Usually cheaper to find a running/driving XJ than to buy separate.

You don't have to worry about the trans not lasting long, because it won't bolt up.

Besides, you need waaaay more than just the motor. The wiring, cooling, and vacuum system is different between the 4 and the 6. Along with almost everything else in the engine bay.

Really, your best option is to find a good running 2.5 to just replace yours with. A 4.0 conversion is a lot of work, and a lot of time.

Thats the best case scenario for sure.

Besides, you need waaaay more than just the motor.

a long block and the parts would be extremely time and money consuming, So I'm thinking baby the 2.5 and start up a savings account for the 4.0 (As my wallet is exceedingly flat these days)

This reminds me of last year around this time a guy had a 2.5 and an ax-5 together for $250

I thought I could talk him down to $200 and ended up insulting him. :doh:

I think the guy can throw in the wiring and computer.

the crossmember, transmission mount, fuel pump, radiator, transfer case, driveshafts,

I still have to grab at a junkyard or there are a few XJ's being parted out by fellow jeepers.

(they want top dollar for engines and transmissions though so thats why I'm jumping on this usedvic ad)

although I'm not trying to throw this engine in right this second,

It would be good to know what pieces have to be swapped out and which can be saved.

Is there a list of things that I can check off or a really good writeup?

Wow

just looked through MJjeffs swap thread. that was an impressive write-up :bowdown:

here's a basic list of what I need

If I'm missing something small or obvious let me know.

Engine

Transmission (and mount)

Wiring harness

ECU

Driveshafts

Gas pedal (and throttle cable)

Fuel pump (and hoses)

Hvac fan

Heater control valve

Radiator (and hoses)

Transfer case mount (and linkage)

Coolant reservoir

gauge cluster

:cheers: glad to help.....

You're gonna need the frame horns and engine mounts from the 4.0 as well. The 2.5 ones look the same, but they are not. All of the bolt holes/studs are there in the framerails, just line the 4.0 ones up and bolt them in.

Jeff

You're gonna need the frame horns and engine mounts from the 4.0 as well. The 2.5 ones look the same, but they are not. All of the bolt holes/studs are there in the framerails, just line the 4.0 ones up and bolt them in.

ok sounds good I'll have to get those from another xj I guesss

theres another ad for three xj's with various parts. I think thats where I'll strike up a few deals.

been riding around on the forum and learning lots stuff that relates to my setup.

• 2 weeks later...

:doh: Yeah I spaced out on that one.....

I was focusing on the chips and chunks of metal missing in the photos, and assumed that was where they came from.

I think I should do WAY more homework before asking so many questions.

I'd be more worried about the loose metal sitting in the rockers, to be honest.

looks to me like that motor should be tossed. loose metal in the rockers + piston skirt in oil pan = metal running through oil passages = high chance of detonation without acid dipping the block...and even then you can't trust it.

that's a complete rebuild you're looking at. it honestly doesn't matter what it looks like under the head. $#!&-can the motor, either swap another 4 banger in or do a 4.0 swap using a complete parts vehicle.