JY ax-15 help

so I called most of the local JYs today.. none of them have an AX-15, however one of the people I spoke to said not to buy JY ax15 and just get a remaned or a new one... what are your thoughts? Would a JY tranny be fine? what should I look for when I go to get one (aside form driving 100 miles round trip just to find out it was a 2wd tranny and not the listed 4wd.. again) I did find a AX15 4wd, hopefully, but it is 100 miles away... one way... any other tips or something to look for would be great.

Thanks

just finished calling all 17 local auto salvage yards. none have a 4wd ax15.. just ONE 2wd ax15.. looks like i will be racking up a 200 mile road trip to get a tranny...

where can I order a transmission mount or cross-member for an aX15.. none of the JY Here have any..

and don't forget to search for YJs, TJs, XJs of various years 89-06. minor differences over the year can result in cutoffs in searches. (and that applies to all parts searches, not just the AX-15. it's important to know what you're looking for before hitting car-part.com)

the 6spd trans is not an AX-15, but would still bolt up (assuming you could ever find one).

The TJ/YJ unit is slightly different, but it still works. I have one in my 88. If you found one, you'll still need to track down an XJ/MJ shifter (the wrangler one is taller, but still works) and the XJ/MJ trans mount and crossmember (very different in a wrangler). It will clock (rotate) the t-case up a bit, but that's pretty easy to overcome and will give you better ground clearance under the t-case.

assuming i go with the TJ tranny how would i fix or "get around" the transfer case clock position.?

and do i need to keep my transmission cross member for the tranny mount or is it different from the ba10 to the ax15

the cross members are different. AX15 crossmembers are dropped about an inch in the middle, opposed to pukeys which are just straight.

pukey:

ax15:

Can a spacer be used between the cross member and frame to set the "pukey" cross member down to the correct level so it could be used with the AX-15?

technically yes, imo it should only be temporary until you find the right crossmember.

I have no contact between the t-case and body on my truck. other people have had some that was cured with a big hammer. it's possible they tried to use the peugeot crossmember.

I'd say it's more than likely. After all, I've seen people argue that there's no difference between the AX-15/NV3550 crossmember and the other one.

assuming i go with the TJ tranny how would i fix or "get around" the transfer case clock position.?

and do i need to keep my transmission cross member for the tranny mount or is it different from the ba10 to the ax15

the cross members are different. AX15 crossmembers are dropped about an inch in the middle, opposed to pukeys which are just straight.

pukey:

ax15:

The Wrangler AX 15 transfer cases are clocked different by the transmission TC bolt pattern. You can re-drill the TC bolt holes in the Wrangler AX15 for an XJ TC. Wrangler TCs are flatter than XJ TCs.

so I called most of the local JYs today.. none of them have an AX-15, however one of the people I spoke to said not to buy JY ax15 and just get a remaned or a new one... what are your thoughts? Would a JY tranny be fine? what should I look for when I go to get one (aside form driving 100 miles round trip just to find out it was a 2wd tranny and not the listed 4wd.. again) I did find a AX15 4wd, hopefully, but it is 100 miles away... one way... any other tips or something to look for would be great.

Thanks

I've used LKQ for a used AW-4 w/ 60K miles for $200, they offer a 6 month warranty.

They hoard the good used parts, and sell them for a slight mark up. :dunno: Bid-ness. Still a good deal, as they deliver for free... *if you can provide a business address.*

However, I'm having trouble with them and your zip... one comes up inventory # 400-02335, 1991 M/T, 4x4, I6, Tranny. But I can't locate it... Meh...

This is simply a heads up, perhaps nothing, but maybe you will have better luck...

EDIT: Nevermind, it looks like their prices have gone up and their new locator service sucks... so toss them out, sorry.

well... i can't seem it find the transmission I want.. i can find it in 2wd.. but not 4wd.. I just did a search for the 4wd AW4 and what do you know... 16 of them with in 100 miles most of them less than 50 miles away... I may end up just doing a auto swap if i can't find what i want..

I know some where some one posted a drive shaft length chart. IF, and hopefully not... i end up doing a auto swap would my drive shafts be the same length?

thanks

well... i can't seem it find the transmission I want.. i can find it in 2wd.. but not 4wd.. I just did a search for the 4wd AW4 and what do you know... 16 of them with in 100 miles most of them less than 50 miles away... I may end up just doing a auto swap if i can't find what i want..

I know some where some one posted a drive shaft length chart. IF, and hopefully not... i end up doing a auto swap would my drive shafts be the same length?

thanks

I bought my running, driving 4x4 donor with an AX-15 for $500, and I got lift parts and 4x4 conversion parts. Have you considered that option?

I bought my running, driving 4x4 donor with an AX-15 for $500, and I got lift parts and 4x4 conversion parts. Have you considered that option?

Did you get the donor from craigslist or a JY?

Craigslist.

humm.. :hmm: people down here want too much for their jeeps... I don't really want to pay $1K for a jeep just to get a tranny... at that rate ebay had some for $500 ish with free shipping