Front axle UJ's.Simple enough for a competent home mechanic?

I ain't done this before on any vehicle so was just wondering how difficult it is and if any special tools or methods are needed? Garage quoted $600 for this job! :eek:

Maybe any helpful tips or links? :thumbsup:

Ooh! And it's a Dana 30.

Thanks in advance :wrench:

I ain't done this before on any vehicle so was just wondering how difficult it is and if any special tools or methods are needed? Garage quoted $600 for this job! :eek:

Maybe any helpful tips or links? :thumbsup:

Ooh! And it's a Dana 30.

What was included in the garage quote? replacing u joints only or was something else included ?

You don't have to remove the hub although it can make things easier. I just remove the brake caliper and bracket, then remove the three bolts securing the wheel hub assembly into the spindle and remove the axle shaft/hub as one piece. Then I find it easiest to cut the wheel joint with an air powered cut off tool in two places and remove it in pieces. Then you simply install the new wheel joint, it can only go one way so take your time.

What was included in the garage quote? replacing u joints only or was something else included ?

Nuffin, just UJ's, the guy said it's a time consuming job even if nothing is seized.

Then I find it easiest to cut the wheel joint with an air powered cut off tool in two places and remove it in pieces. Then you simply install the new wheel joint, it can only go one way so take your time.

Can you describe what a 'wheel joint' is? Sorry, I learnt all I know on the other side of the Atlantic and the terminology for engineering stuff is totally different to here :doh:

Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

its easy as hell to swap a u joint.

remove brake caliper,

rotor,

axle nut 36mm,

three 12 point 13mm bolts hold the hub in, remove those, tap or use the steering to pop the hub out, you might pull the axle shaft out with the hub but i gave a light tap on the axle shaft and it popped out of the hub. the other just slid out

take shaft out,

i used a bench vice, $#!& here lol

http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/axle/ujoint/

its easy as hell to swap a u joint.

remove brake caliper,

rotor,

axle nut 36mm,

three 12 point 13mm bolts hold the hub in, remove those, tap or use the steering to pop the hub out, you might pull the axle shaft out with the hub but i gave a light tap on the axle shaft and it popped out of the hub. the other just slid out

take shaft out,

i used a bench vice, $#!& here lol

http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/axle/ujoint/

Great! Thanks loads :bowdown:

That's what I need, a simple explanation for a simple guy :thumbsup: