New Comanche w/ Some Issues

hey everyone, I just got my first MJ home today. An 88 2wd, 5 speed, 35 rear. I am having a few issues I need to sort out right away. Here they are:

- Wipers don't work, nor does the sprayer. Bad relay? Wheres the location?

- Dome lights, dash lights and reverse lights do not work. There is no stereo so I don't know if this has anything to do with it? The headlights and parking lights work fine but the dash and interior lights do not?

- E-Brake cable is snapped at the parking brake. Do they make replacements for these?

Other than a small oil leak from the BA-10 its a solid MJ. I have to pull the carpets up and I have a feeling its going to need some DS floorboard repair. Please help me with these issues so I can start driving this pig! Loving it so far :D

RockMJ

First of all, Welcome!

The wipers problem can be from a fuse at the panel, relay, intermittent relay, wiper motor, fluid pump, and even the column switch. Start with the easiest and work your way up. Many of your electrical gremlins may be due to clutch fluid running down the firewall from the clutch MC and down behind your fuse panel. If that's the case, you will have to solve that problem first or you will have constant fuse issues. This may be the culprit of your lighting issues also.

The brake handle cable will need to be spliced or found in a parts Comanche. Sometimes EBAY has them. I don't know if other trucks used the same assembly but some members have rigged them to work.

If your BA10 tranny needs repairs, don't put money into it. Upgrade to the AX15.

Read through the forums and you'll pick up a lot of great info. Ask questions. Post details and pictures of your MJ.

Be prepared to become addicted!

So what should I be looking for in the tail light wiring? What about the fuse block? I already have planned on doing the AX-15 swap lol. The trans works for the time being but it has a small leak to it. Can you guys link me to some writeups regarding my issues? I checked the fuses on the block for the wipers and dash, and everything looks fine. What next?

RockMJ

Alright I pulled the rear tail lights. The running lights, turn signals and brake lights are working. Just the Reverse lights are not. Is it the switch on the trans maybe? How should I go about diagnosing the non working dash lights and the wiper switch? Thanks guys,

RockMJ

Alright, I got the reverse lights working (both bulbs were bad I guess) and the dash is lighting on one side now. The head light switch is bad I guess. I messed with dimming it for 5 minutes until I found the "sweet spot" lol. I will be replacing that next week. The question still begs to be answered about the wipers. The high beam/lo beam works as well as the turn signals but the wipers won't turn on. So where is the relay located for the wiper motor? I also checked the clutch cylinder and it was kind of wet but it wasnt dripping and the fuse box was dry. Thanks for having patience guys, I'm new to MJ's and I don't know all their quarks yet :D

RockMJ

Well, not to be a post w**re but I pulled up the ds carpet like everyone mentioned and sure enough, its got some rot going on. I have to pull up the ps tomorrow and take a look but I'm thinking I can POR-15 it, fiberglass over top of that and then bedliner it? Thoughts on this? Sadly, I left my welder up north when I moved to FL so I don't have any means of cutting it out and replacing it with steel. Who wants to be my friend? haha, thanks guys

RockMJ

I feel like a complete idiot. I did a bit more research and found out where the wiper motor relay is. I went out side and looked and sure enough its missing on my fuse block. Wonder why? Just to make sure, its the rectangular silver relay at the bottom of the fuse block in this picture yes?

RockMJ

Just to make sure, its the rectangular silver relay at the bottom of the fuse block in this picture yes?

RockMJ

For the wipers:

Yes, E-Z to replace, if you can find a new one, lots in the JY

For the reverse lights:

It's either the sensor on the pass side of the tranny OR that 7.5A fuse at the lower right of the picture, marked TRANS...check it.

I got the reverse lights working yesterday! I also stopped by Advance Auto Parts and they didnt have the fuse I needed for the wipers. I am going to try Autozone tomorrow and hope for the best. I'm currently pulling up the carpet as we speak and the DS floor is pretty rusted. Its also rusted all the way up to the firewall so I'm guessing the windshield is leaking or something

RockMJ

Btw guys, I wanted to update this thread with a bit of useful info. I found the wiper relay and the only places I can find it sold through a re 1) Dealership 2) Quadratec. here's the link to Quadratec's website

http://www.quadratec.com/products/17015_8000.htm

Jeep's part number is #56001110. Just wanted to share that info,

RockMJ