Cryco 8.25 swap thread

Someone in here created a thread on swapping a Cryco 8.25 into thier truck. I have searched for it without success, and if anyone knows where it is I would appreciate it.

In the thread the author suggested an alternative axle tube to rear prop valve line. I believe he recommended a 2000 dakota line, but want to be sure. I believe he also recommended 2004 dakota U bolts.

Thanks

Jake

IMHO the Dakota would be a poor 8.25 donor due to the bolt patter if nothing else.

An XJ 8.25 is the correct width and bolt pattern, you just need to grind off the old axle perches and place them in the proper position for the MJ. Either SUA for stock or SOA if you wanted.

Yeah, the post is not too clear - I was typing after a long day.

I tried to search the forums using "8.25" but the search engine responded with a special message saying "8.25 is too vague and will be disregarded". :nuts:

When I searched for "8.25 Swap" the search engine disregarded the 8.25 and I got over 10,000 responses for the word swap :eek: do ya think we change a lot of stuff in here?!

Anyway, I am trying to determine the best substitute axle-to-prop valve line. As stated before, somebody in here as used one from a dakota, but I can't remember what year.

Selective memory, my wife calls it.....

Alright.

Searched forever (it seems) and come up with a thread where some folks were swapping Dakota rear brake lines in due to the increased height of thier lift. Seems the 1996 line was good, and would allow the origional vent bolt to secure the block to the axle tube.

Is that the correct one, or was another year more appropriate?

and, does the 8.25 axle take a 3" u bolt?

Will the 96+ dual brake booster and master cylinder swap push enough fluid to support 96+ ZJ disk brake swap on the 8.25?

Thanks

will the 96+ dual brake booster and master cylinder swap push enough fluid to support 96+ ZJ disk brake swap on the 8.25?

Yes, it should. XJ'ers commonly swap disc brakes onto the rear and I have yet to hear of anyone complaining that their master cylinder was inefficient.

Although, are you sure that the disc brakes from the ZJ swap onto the Chryco axle? ZJs either used a Dana 35 or Dana 44a rear axle. I was always under the impression that the rear brakes will swap between the Dana axles, but I'm not sure if they'll bolt up to the Chrysler axle...

ive got Zj discs on my 8.25 out in the garage.

Although, are you sure that the disc brakes from the ZJ swap onto the Chryco axle? ZJs either used a Dana 35 or Dana 44a rear axle. I was always under the impression that the rear brakes will swap between the Dana axles, but I'm not sure if they'll bolt up to the Chrysler axle...

I run ZJ D35 disks on my 8.25" Had to drill the center hole out from 2.75" to 3" and it bolted right on. Even the regular booster can push enough fluid, but you need to increase the pressure to the rear as disk brakes need more than drum brakes. You can use the load sensing valve to accomplish this. I run a 95 Dakota hose on my Comanche, SOA as does a buddy in his XJ with ~5" lift. I run a TJ rear hose on my XJ currently with about 4" lift. The TJ one is a bit longer yet than the Dakota one.

And yes, the 8.25" axle tube is 3" diameter, so it takes 3" u bolts and spring perches made for a 3" axle tube.

DO NOT USE THE XJ PERCHES IN THEIR STOCK POSITION. THEIR SPACING IS NOT CORRECT FOR A COMANCHE!

I stacked a 2.75" hole saw inside a 3" one. The inside one acted as a "centering pin" while the outside one cut the hole bigger. Turned the drill press down to 250 RPM and I was done in 30 seconds total for both backing plates and both brackets.