Good and bad...

dasbulliwagen

Ive been a Chrysler Dodge Jeep dealer tech for 5 years now, and a couple years ago I had the chance to cross train into Mazda as a backup to our one Mazda only tech. In the time since I was Mazda certified, I have been unable to really get any experience working on these cars, and little experience with the Ford based scan tool. And as many of you know, Mazda likes to use wierd and different engines, like the Miller cycle engine in the Millenia-S, and the rotaries in the RX cars. My limited experience hasnt been an issue... until now. Our Mazda only tech decided he wanted more money, so he had been playing a job offer from another dealer to negotiate more money for himself. It came down to him getting ready to go on a two week vacation, and being offered more money to stay with us, which he accepted. So he went on vacation, and the day he was supposed to come back, last monday, he didnt show for work. He came in Tuesday, said that he quit, and loaded his toolbox, eveidently using his better offer here, to get even more from whoever he is going to. Thats leaves me with all his leftover garbage, and no real experience on working on these cars. I know I can figure them out, but being thrown into it like this had me nervous and worried. We don't do a ton of Mazda work to begin with, but still... I don't like the situation. On top of all that, our dealer owner has suspended all ongoing Mazda factory training, so at least at this point, Ill be unable to take needed classes on the rotary engine, and new technology updates. Just had to vent... Thanks!

That sucks your employer no longer includes professioal development training as part of the "benifits package", but you could just pay for it yourself...?

The actual training is included in the dealership license, but whats not paid for is travel expenses and hotel rooms. That and I really don't think they give a crap about the Mazda franchise anymore, as we only have 6 new cars on the lot. Kinda sad, because Ive seen Mazda dealers in towns a whole lot smaller than our that are huge in comparison. If they don't do anything to push the product,then they arent going to sell anything. That, and the way people shop nowadays.... by going to the company website, building their car, and searching dealer inventories.... that just puts us out of the game if we have little inventory. You can't sell them if we don't have any. I don't understand these people sometimes.

I wonder how low the per-unit profit is on the Mazdas??

I have heard stories from friends working on combined brand dealerships is that the Jap and Korean cars are VERY low for per unit profit and suck even worse for per service margins, so combined dealers don't want to carry them.

I was told its the reason you see all the really young, or lousy salespeople on those brands, the folks with some experience or ability get onto vehicles that they will be able to make some commissions on.

Its too bad your ownership won't pay for the training. But in the end they are the ones losing out. You are going to make your pay whether you are working on Mazdas or Chrysler. Its his dealership revenue that will suffer.