To sell or not to sell? The diesel MJ

Rebelfish99

Well times are tough and as a small business owner I can't find the time to restore this great truck. I am working 8 days a week a full 32 hours a day. I don't even have the time to drive the poor truck that has been sitting in my sideyard for 4 months now. It only gets run on the weekends and doesn't drive more than 40 feet to the driveway to be washed. Right now it needs a new windshield, damn storm decided to miss everything in my yard except that one branch that had to crack it. It also needs new tires and rims, as the spare is on one and the back tire is bubbled. I already have another comanche in the shop getting a full restoration along with a 350 SBC and 40" tires with lots of goodies. And my DD XJ isn't getting anything soon with 357K on the odometer.

So my question is do I sell it or not? Should I keep it and hope this economy recovers in the next 5 years so I can finally stop working two jobs? Or should I let it go to a good home now for someone to let this rare truck live a great life?

It only has 150K ORIGINAL everything, excluding a couple small things I've done, like a truck box, roof running lights, and second battery. And if I were to sell it, how much should I expect to get for it in current condition.?

Thanks. These are the pics when I bought it but its pretty much the same other than the things I listed.

MJ%20003.JPG

Well it is taking up space, and my roomates are mad but I can deal with them, a 12 pack appearing in their fridge shuts them up. But winter is the only time I slow down and I don't really have the space to repair it in my lonely one car garage. My ATV is in there now because I'm restoring it and getting it ready for hunting season. I'd love to get the MJ fixed up but I could use the money and the space. Plus its just collecting rust on its perfect RUST-FREE body.

This was before I started on it. See the MJ in the back?

1.jpg

This is where its at now after being painted, just waiting on parts to put it all back together.

15.jpg

Unless you sell it to jeepcomj, or some like minded person who will appreciate its rarity, I don't see it being appreciated or well treated. And even though it is rare, it isnt collectable and it isnt worth much in real world dollars. I say keep it unless you find someone you KNOW will fix it up right, and treat it like the rare gem it is.

Bidding war. I will take it pm me a price and we can negotiate details on when I can get it.

my dad DD's one, I have a new motor for one...and I have been trying to track them all down.

edit:

mapquest says 18.5 hour drive. when can I leave? :cheers:

Shoot me a PM with a price. I'm not sure how much its worth. I paid $5000 for it. Well I actually traded my M35A2 Deuce and half for it. But It was about an equal trade. Clean title. Ready to be taken away. It runs and drives, just needs new tires and windshield. Will post a picture of current condition shortly.

oh. uh. not even talking anywhere close to the same ball park. it's not a muscle car...

sorry you have that much into it, but with the maintenance requirements of these 2.1l diesels, rarity of parts, and the fact that the body style isn't even a collector's item...it's not worth half that.

oh. uh. not even talking anywhere close to the same ball park. it's not a muscle car...

sorry you have that much into it, but with the maintenance requirements of these 2.1l diesels, rarity of parts, and the fact that the body style isn't even a collector's item...it's not worth half that.

Like I said I don't know how much its truely worth. I traded my truck for it, so the only money I have invested is the work i've done on the motor and all the parts I've had to fix. But I did get it about 1.5 years ago and it was in even worse condition

Like I said I don't know how much its truely worth. I traded my truck for it, so the only money I have invested is the work i've done on the motor and all the parts I've had to fix. But I did get it about 1.5 years ago and it was in even worse condition

I understand that. I'm not comfortable making any offer knowing what you have into it... I feel that i've already thrown insult by telling you what it's not worth. I've been dealing with these since I started with comanches (my dad's diesel is the first i've ever seen), I know them very well...and I can tell you you probably will fetch a higher dollar amount from someone who doesn't know the vehicles and thinks "I like jeeps, it's a diesel, cool...$$$". they as i'm sure you know will be sadly disapointed with their expectations.

they're neat jeeps, can be reliable if maintained, are extremely rare, but have no collector's value right now.

-Pat

I understand that. I'm not comfortable making any offer knowing what you have into it... I feel that i've already thrown insult by telling you what it's not worth. I've been dealing with these since I started with comanches (my dad's diesel is the first i've ever seen), I know them very well...and I can tell you you probably will fetch a higher dollar amount from someone who doesn't know the vehicles and thinks "I like jeeps, it's a diesel, cool...$$$". they as i'm sure you know will be sadly disapointed with their expectations.

they're neat jeeps, can be reliable if maintained, are extremely rare, but have no collector's value right now.

-Pat

In no way am I dissapointed or insulted. I didn't know how much it was worth when I got it but I didn't pay any cash for it. It was a trade and I drove it home that day. So i was excited that I had a diesel MJ that I didn't care how much it costs. I just really wanted one. But thats why i posted in the pub first. I didn't know if it was worth storing for a couple years or let someone else take care of it and help this poor old truck.

Man I was all ready to go on this, then I saw the $5k you paid for it - I can't touch that man. Good luck with it, sounds like you have enough in it it would be better to keep it.

X2.

Not really costing you anything sitting there. Probably won't ever find another one. Spray the undercarriage with WD40 and keep it oiled until you get around to it.

Rob

I don't have $5k in it. I only have about $1000 invested total. The $5000 was what the guy I bought it from was asking. I'm not looking to get $5K unless it was fully restored to showroom quality which its not even close. If someone shot me a good offer, I don't know I might take it.

Seriously, I would LIKE at least $1800 or maybe an AR15 or some kind of rifle. Maybe a nice handgun plus cash.

This is tempting, almost worth selling the unicorn for... Anyone want to buy my Late build '92 Eliminator?

Seriously.

Rob

Seriously, I would LIKE at least $1800 or maybe an AR15 or some kind of rifle. Maybe a nice handgun plus cash.

$1800 huh, what does it look like as far as rust?

you thinking about a road trip?

um...

here's some pics. Its pretty dirty I know, I took the tarp off last week and didn't put it back on so its dirty.

TDMJ%20001.jpg

TDMJ%20002.jpg

TDMJ%20003.jpg

TDMJ%20004.jpg

TDMJ%20005.jpg

TDMJ%20006.jpg

if I had the $ I would get you the 1800.

$1800 huh, what does it look like as far as rust?

Very little surface rust around the driver door. Floorboards are in good shape. But no MAJOR spots.

This is tempting, almost worth selling the unicorn for... Anyone want to buy my Late build '92 Eliminator?

Seriously.

Rob

Your Green 92!? :eek:

I am a nerd for the weird and unusual. The '92 is that, but only in paint and package. There are a million 4.0, AW4, 231's out there. Sure it may be the only Green Eliminator we know of, but its no longer in the running to be the last. It's close, but not the last, as we thought it was when I bought it.

Now, a diesel MJ... Not many can hold the title for that honor...

So, seriously. If anyone would want to make an offer on the Eliminator... I will entertain for the possibility of getting this truck.

Rob.