'88 Olympic Pioneer - the addiction continues

I stopped by the body shop today. There is another soft spot in the driver side rocker that neither of us caught before, so he's going to hang on to it and fix it too (hopefully next week some time). The good thing is that the passenger side and tail gate are done. Here is a shot of the tailgate all painted:

I have a set of black Jeep stickers to put on it when I get it back to my house. Here is a shot of the front to show the lower springs:

There it is! Really nice shape.

The rear slider slides over to the passenger side of the cab. I had to put some Vaseline in the channels to get mine to move freely.

Is there a clasp or something? I can't seem to get it to move at all. I don't want to apply too much pressure because I'm afraid of breaking it.

Yah, there is a clasp for it, but most of them fall off because the glue gets old and they come up-glued.

Mine was pretty stiff too when I got it, but it was movable... You'll see the channels on the passenger side, see if you can lube them up with some plastic friendly lube and go from there. Thats about all I can tell you to do.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I've had this truck, the speedometer hasn't worked. I had turned the housing for the speedo gear, but couldn't get anything, so I decided to tackle it today. I tried all three positions for the speedo housing and nothing, so it had to be at the other end behind the gauge cluster. Turns out that was it, but as I was trying to pull it forward to attach it, I broke it. Thankfully I had a spare cable from the '90 and all is well. Now I just have to make sure that I have the correct gear in there now.

I dropped off the bench top at the upholstery place to fix the ripped seam across the top and swap it onto my old '90 bench back with headrests. I should have it back next week. I really don't want to, but I think I'm going to have to sell this truck. Unless I can find another job, money is going to get real tight pretty soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I did something to my truck today.

Here is the before:

And here is the after:

You're probably thinking, "he did the '97+ front end swap," but you're wrong. I actually traded it for a '99 2 door XJ.

Its a Sport model with power options and cruise control. They guy that I traded wanted to keep his wheels and tires, so we swapped.

Its going to be my new daily driver. It will get better gas mileage than the green MJ and since I'm working in uptown Charlotte now, not having to drive the stick shift in the cobalt will be nice.

I'm going to miss the '88. Its been driving really great recently and I've got a lot of compliments on it. For where I live and work and what my needs are, this is going to be a good swap for me. I gave the new owner a CC card and told him to swing on by. For posterity, here is one last shot of both MJs this morning:

• 5 years later...