Tips for a new Mid-Westerner

MJCrusader

I'm moving from California to Minnesota within the next month or two and would like to know if there is anything I should know about vehicles in cold wet environments. Is there anything I can do in terms of rust prevention? For instance...if I spraypaint the frame, brake lines, underside of the body and bed, etc would that do anything against the salt on the roadways?

Does anything need to be adjusted when the cold weather comes? I know about changing the oil for thinner stuff, but what else?

Thanks,

Tim

1. Don't move there unless you have too. But since you're asking, ASSume that's not an option.

2. Don't drive any older vehicle (like an MJ w. poor factory rust protection) you plan on keeping for a long time in the winter. Park it.

3. Invest in a disposable winter beater vehicle.

4. Don't move there.

Unfortunately, MN is just about my last option. Been out of work for a long time and I just can't bring myself to work at McDonalds. I'm sick of the heat, I'm sick of the people, and I'm sick of our bs left wing government.

I've enrolled at school in northern Minnesota and have some family out there, so thats where I'm going.

But, I suppose I could afford to have my Comanche be my beater/winter/offroad vehicle and buy something else as a more permanent ride.

I would buy a disposable XJ in Cali, and tow-dolly the MJ up there... Once you get up to MN, you will find the rust-free Vehicles in Cali were a luxury.

Be prepared to see rust like you've never seen it before.

Rob

:agree:

If you value your MJ at all, you will park it in the winter, like november till april, and get a cheap beater every winter. Thats what I used to do when I had nice VW's when I lived in Michigan. In the late '90's I bought a $300 Ford Maverick for a beater, and on my way home with it as my mother was following behind me, the rear bumper fell OFF. Thats just one example, but that rusty beater would drive me anywhere. A wood plank rear bumper, and I was good again. An XJ beater is a good idea, that way youll have a built in parts donor, and could swap wheels/tires from one to the other if you have a nice set you want to use year round. You could even buy a lifted beater XJ, use it a winter, and transfer all the lift parts to the MJ the next spring, and slowly build your MJ like that. Just some ideas, but don't drive your MJ in the winter up there. You WILL regret it.

^Agreed! All of it!

Grab as many MJs as you can to help us out! Rust free trucks bring a premium here and they are just too tough to come by. Buy a bunch and make a human centipede equivalent out of them! MN is in dire need of a good Jeep restocking.

Where in MN are you thinking?

I live in Iowa, and it's just as bad as Minnesnowta. The stuff they use now is a liquid, I think it's calcium chloride, not a good companion to all the cheap china brake rotors that everybody uses. You get used to it.

Hibbing. I'm starting at the college there at the end of August.

If you want to buy my MJ (if it makes the trip) then its all yours haha.

huh you'll be within 25 miles of me! whatcha taking there?

My rusty MJ pic. MN rig its whole life!