Paint Question

Is a base/clear paint job worth the extra $?  

1. 1. Is a base/clear paint job worth the extra $?

• Yes
    • No

My truck is at the paint shop and all the body work is done; its ready for color. My painter recommends just doing a single stage paint and says that a base/clear job will cost about $500 more. If it were your truck, would you spend the extra money for the base/clear finish?

The question comes down to what do you plan on doing with it? If it's an off-road truck, I would just do the single stage. If it's a daily driver then I would think about the better paint job. My Jeep is an off-road truck so my buddy is going to paint mine with a single stage black then we're going to two tone it again with either Raptor liner or a single stage maroon (assuming we can find the correct color).

The question comes down to what do you plan on doing with it? If it's an off-road truck, I would just do the single stage. If it's a daily driver then I would think about the better paint job.

:agree: This. Exactly.

Think about it like this... could that extra $500 be spent on something useful (i.e. engine work, suspension, new tires, etc)?

Our situations are obviously different but if it were me, I would use that $500 to get a couple things fixed and get some random parts that I need.

The real question is what is the brand and line of paint this person is using?

For a good looking paint base/clear is the way to go.

He gave me the name, but I wrote it down at work. I know its not the high end PPG stuff because that was something like $300 a quart (I could be wrong on that number cause I just don't remember exactly, but it was very expensive). This truck is going to be a daily driver, so I just want something that is going to look decent and hold up well.

If you want it to last, base/clear is the way to go. Single stage doesn't have very much UV protection in it, and that's why it oxidizes so quickly. Spending another $500 now is a better idea than re-painting the truck in a few years.