WTF is the problem now?

Jesus, the thing ran fine when I bought it, I clean it, give it some new parts, take care of its issues, and it $#!&s the bed. Mother@#$%er.

Today I put back on the flywheel dust cover, which involves dropping the starter, bolting on the cover, and remounting the starter. So I yank the batt cables, pull the wires off the starter, drop it, clean the starter while it's off, mount the cover, then the starter, and move on to the belt change. Finish the belt change, reconnect the battery cables, and bzzz. No start. Lights, everything else fine. Push start it, fires up, hesitatingly, dies, turn key and it starts like normal. Let it idle, look for leaks, find them :wall: soapbox.gif , and back it up into place, while waiting for the degreaser to burn off the exhaust. Finally, ten minutes later, I kill it, and attempt to key start. Nothing. WTGDF.

Let's recap:

New battery terminals

New battery

Oil Change

New cap and rotor

New plugs

New wires

New valve cover gasket

New air filter

Now it's puking oil somewhere, right onto the exhaust manifold.. smoking like a sumbitch.

Tomorrow is finding the leak, and showing the rear bumper some love. And maybe new(er) tires and wheels if I'm super lucky. Also, flywheel dust cover to go on, and working on relivening the bench seat a bit.

Well, I scored new tires, but they're a touch bigger than I wanted. Ended up with 265/75/15s on some aluminum 5 spokes.

Prepped and painted bumper - on the truck, since trying to remove it grenaded one of my Craftsman deep sockets.

Prepped and painted wheels

Prepped and painted dumbass chrome tips on exhaust now nice flat black

Fabbed license plate light

Pulled valve cover to realign gasket - no more spitting oil

Mounted 3 tires - tomorrow is no 4.

Still need to get another tail light bulb, a wiper set, and mount the flywheel dust cover, then get her inspected.

New belts

New wipers

Replaced burned out taillight

Replaced flywheel dust cover

Cleaned up starter while installing dust cover

Degreased engine to diagnose leak site

Hooked up reverse lights

Now it won't start. This little @#$%.

I want to remodel the piece of $#!& with the 12GA next to me.

For the oil leak you're gonna have to pull the valve cover again. I'm willing to bet it's leaking from the back where the gasket either got damaged or slipped trying to get the cover back in place.

As for the starter, I'm guessing it's the starter itself.

For the oil leak you're gonna have to pull the valve cover again. I'm willing to bet it's leaking from the back where the gasket either got damaged or slipped trying to get the cover back in place.

As for the starter, I'm guessing it's the starter itself.

You were right on both counts. I readjusted it, but it still leaks. Couple of bolt holes are cracked, I had epoxied them closed and had washers torquing those down, but no go. New valve cover incoming. I'm hoping not on the starter, it was a b*@$£ and a half to get back in.

Had the same type of problem, Checked all grds, something with the braded from the valve cover to the fire wall was a miss. replace it

That ground you mentioned is frayed a tiny bit, but it's there. I'll keep looking.

waiting for the de-greaser to burn off? Does that mean you hosed down the engine? If so, look to the TPS....it hates water!

By look to, you mean replace? or blow out with air or what?

Thanks for your ideas, guys.

Just resolved a no turn over condition with my mj today. Replaced the starter solenoid-$32.00 at autozone. Oh and according to the date on the tag i'm still on the original starter! Had the starter tested and it was good ,but broke the pos. terminal off when reinstalling so the sol. was replaced. She fired right up after ,but my prob could have been as simple as the neg.cable on the batt. as i removed it for the job. So check your cables again! :cheers:

Jesus, the thing ran fine when I bought it, I clean it, give it some new parts, take care of its issues, and it $#!& the bed. @#$%.

Today I put back on the flywheel dust cover, which involves dropping the starter, bolting on the cover, and remounting the starter. So I yank the batt cables, pull the wires off the starter, drop it, clean the starter while it's off, mount the cover, then the starter, and move on to the belt change. Finish the belt change, reconnect the battery cables, and bzzz. No start.

I had a similiar issue with my starter several times. Could be the relay that is next to the battery (Mine is... IFFY...) but when I had the issue, I simply took off the 2 bolts holding the starter on (loosen them at least) wiggle around the starter back and forth, up and down, left and right, then re bolt back into a relatively parallel to the engine, and tighten the 2 bolts. This worked on my truck for whatever reason, hopefully it works for you two! but based on the fact that you got a little "buzzz" when you turned the key, I want to say that when the solenoid activated, it pushed the teeth of the gear on the starter against the teeth of the flywheel, rather than into the teeth of the flywheel. Just a buckshot guess.

Good luck!

-Nate

OK, first I look at the TPS. Apparently, it toasted a wire at one point. The plug is slightly deformed, and whats this?

EGcEi.jpg

One wire blew off the sheathing when it got hot. "Insulated" with electrical tape.

9GDE1.jpg

Going to cut out the bare wire and splice in new good wire. Splice, since my soldering gun and shrink tubing is in NC, along with most of my good tools. :wall:

yECoE.jpg

Well, clean up the connection, test for continuity from wire to plug, and toss it back in. It's as good as I can make it at the moment with the tools at hand.

So, next step... the multimeter says I have continuity from battery to solenoid post, but what's this? It's fluctuating. I investigated further. Found that while I couldn't move the heavy gauge wire at all from the top of the engine, I could move it while under the truck. Out comes the 13mm 1/4" drive socket and the mini socket wrench. Cranked for five minutes in the whopping one and a half inches of clearance, and got it tight on the solenoid post. Button up the battery cables, and hop in. Fires up! SUCCESS.