Whats the best way to remove a round bolt?

DirtyComanche

Rounded head, that is. Turns out the ignoranus who put the one of the plugs in my ram tightened it down way too much, then they painted over it. As it was an internal wrenching (allen) head plug, it's now round. Really round.

I can't cut it. The surface behind it has to be flat for the fitting to seal.

Do any of those reverse cut bolt extractor things work?

I'm really thinking of just taking it back and bitching. But, I didn't buy it locally, so it'd burn up time.

I'm gonna go try the vice-grips before bed though. I wish...

Just weld a nut to it and remove.....

SIMPLE, if you have a welder....

CW

Can't risk damaging the seals in the ram... At least, I'd rather not risk it.

They're ony good for a couple hundred degrees.

But it's out, so, w/e.

You would need a heat sink. Something that will heatup quick and is of agood size. that way you can control the ammount of heat you put into the part. Water soalked / wrung out towels work to some degree, as well.

Glad you got it!!

CW

I actually prefer my little 8" pipe wrench to the vice grips. :brows: Vice grips only get so tight, but the pipe wrench keeps putting more and more pressure (if it doesn't spin of course). If it does spin, then I go for the vice grips or try roughing up the surface so the wrench teeth have something to grab.

I actually prefer my little 8" pipe wrench to the vice grips. :brows: Vice grips only get so tight, but the pipe wrench keeps putting more and more pressure (if it doesn't spin of course). If it does spin, then I go for the vice grips or try roughing up the surface so the wrench teeth have something to grab.

That's what I thought too. But the pipe wrench actually just ripped metal off the plug. Hence I didn't try the vice grips and figured I'd start asking about extractors.

Yup, I've had that happen on occasion. Though usually that happens on bolts that I eventually cut off (meaning that they probably weren't ever coming out due to rust). There's no one tool that does it all. :D

Yup, I've had that happen on occasion. Though usually that happens on bolts that I eventually cut off (meaning that they probably weren't ever coming out due to rust). There's no one tool that does it all. :D

wrong buddy :)

plasma cutter and a sawzall

HEE HEE...Plasma cutter is one, and Sawsall makes two, :roll: ;) ;)

I think he meant plasma or a sawzall. :D When working on a rusty truck, sometimes even the sawzall can't reach (no, I don't have a plasma cutter). But I've got an electric angle grinder, plus a small air grinder with cutoff wheels. But even with all that, the last 2 bolts holding the rusty rollbar into my 90 were impossible to reach. I could see them, just couldn't get any of my tools to reach them. I eventually got to them after yanking on the rollbar itself snapped the bar right off its base (rampant rust inside). Sometimes you just need a little luck with these Jeeps. jamminz.gif

Funny you should mention the "damaged bolthead extractors".....I now own a set ;)

Went to do a simple oil change on the other car Saturday, and disaster struck. Fill plug stripped (my own stoopid fault, I've been using a 12 pt box end wrench on it for the last year or so).

After screwing around for 2 hours with everything from vise grips to pipe wrenches, to files..and about 10 beers..I took a trip to the Sears. They had them on sale for $14.99 :D Once I had them in hand, the plug came out in about 3.4 seconds. They are the kind of thing that you don't buy when you don't need them, but are the ONLY thing that works when you do. Add them to the list of random tools in my box that'll probably get used once, maybe twice :D

Jeff

edit: pics

the pan plug (destroyed) :eek:

Image Not Found

the extractors jamminz.gif

Image Not Found