Transmission questions

Howdy ya'll. I have a few questions about the transmission on my 89 MJ 4.0L if anyone can spare the time.

Last week my radiator cracked, so my Dad and I took it out and had it repaired. While it was getting fixed we decided to replace the CMC which has been leaking more and more lately. To make a long story short, we went through two of Napa's cheap pieces of aluminum junk before getting a good steel CMC. We also had to replace the hose. Well, while reattaching the hose to the Slave, it broke. So the transmission is spewing fluid when the clutch is engaged.

I have been doing some searches here, so I know that I have an internal slave and that the transmission has to be pulled to replace it. So, since we have to pull the transmission we are discussing replacing the 2nd gear syncro as it is pretty hosed.

So my questions:

I'm not totally positive which transmission I have. I assume its Peugeot BA-10/5 but I want to make sure and my manual is long gone. (btw does anyone have a pdf version?) How can you tell?

Any advice on pulling the transmission? My Dad has done this many times before but not on the Comanche, so advice would be awesome.

And lastly, about the syncro's, does anyone know where I can find these or have any advice on replacing them?

If there is any walkthroughs already posted that I could be directed to that would be cool - I looked but I apparently suck at searching.

Thanks a bunch,

Jess

If its a ba10/5, you should strongly consider swapping to an ax15. The ba10/5 is a pile of junk and you will likely have to fix it again in the future. :wrench:

Yup! A buddy of mine blew up the ba10 in his YJ. Replaced it with a remanned ba10, and blew that one up in 3 days! (And put another one in it! :doh: )

So my questions:

I'm not totally positive which transmission I have. I assume its Peugeot BA-10/5 but I want to make sure and my manual is long gone. (btw does anyone have a pdf version?) How can you tell?

Any advice on pulling the transmission? My Dad has done this many times before but not on the Comanche, so advice would be awesome.

trans ID: BA-10/5 on the left , AX-15 on the right

BA10_AX15_SBS.jpg

I think the main thing to consider for swapping a jeep trans is the top 2 bolts on the bellhousing, they are external torx bolts, Pretty sure they're e12 & I know they're a pain in the a$$ :headpop: replace them with 3/8x16 by 2'' bolts

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdUtx_Z71AuIyq4eD-76nqwxTonXRfiunvR8jLVMzsbEocnqHqfg

I just came across these external Torx bolts, the PO had rounded them off, probably used a hex socket on them, so instead of just pulling the engine I had to pull the entire engine/tans/transfer case. I will definitely replace them.

Here's the link for transmission ID http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27191&p=275238&hilit=ba10+or+ax15+transmission#p275238

Pretty simple to pull really.

1- Take the 3 10mm headed bolts out of the shifter.

2- Remove clutch line at the transmission.

3- Remove driveshaft.

4- Unscrew speedometer cable from trans

5- Remove starter

6- Unbolt the flywheel dust shield bolts

7- Unbolt crossmember at the frame mounting points (8 bolts)

8- Take out the bellhousing bolts

9- Slide the transmission out

3- Remove driveshaft.

5- Remove starter

8.5- Remove CPS. The trans will come out with it bolted on, but you can easily break it.

3- Remove driveshaft.

5- Remove starter

8.5- Remove CPS. The trans will come out with it bolted on, but you can easily break it.

:agree: Definitely don't wanna screw up THOSE bolts! They aren't just plain ole 8mm bolts

3- Remove driveshaft.

5- Remove starter

:agree: Definitely don't wanna screw up THOSE bolts! They aren't just plain ole 8mm bolts

My concern actually isn't for the bolts, but the CPS itself. Last time I dumped in a 4.0, I didn't pull the CPS first. I don't know when it broke, during removal or installation, but it didn't give any indication it was broken until I tried to fire it up and had zero spark.

But yeah, those are use-specific shoulder bolts, don't wanna lose or break'm.

Got the trans out without breaking anything I think. We did not have a transmission jack so it was kind of a controlled free fall. I can already tell that putting it back in is going to be extra fun.

So my transmission is still sitting in the driveway. We tried to get it up yesterday but we discovered a new potential problem. It seems as though fluid is leaking out of the bolts that hold the bell housing to the transmission. So if the seal between the bell housing and the transmission is bad, does anyone know what part# I'm looking for, or is this a different kind of seal all together?

As much as I would love to ditch the BA10, I just can't afford an AX15 right now :(