Just got a hold of a Dana 44 from a MJ (to replace the Dana 35) and it has 3:54 ratio my front is 4:10 (Dana 30)

Couple of questions

1. How would it act as is?

2. Which would be a better radio to switch to.

3. Is the DS gonna need to be shortend?

thanks

3:55 in the 44 is nice . The XJ's have mainly 3:55 . There's millions out there to match the 44 . Although I'd prefer the 4:10's , cheapest route is get another front diff too .

Only issue I could see is , I think you have the 2.5 (given the 4:10's) , the 3:55 will slow you down a hair .

Just got a hold of a Dana 44 from a MJ (to replace the Dana 35) and it has 3:54 radio my front is 4.10 (Dana 30)

Couple of questions

1. How would it act as is? If you mean 4.10 up front and 3.54 in the rear, it will not work. Both axles need to be the same ratio (not radio).

2. Which would be a better radio to switch to. What size tires do you have? As stated, 4.10 would probably be the best for you.

3. Is the DS gonna need to be shortend? Yes, about an inch.

thanks

Just got a hold of a Dana 44 from a MJ (to replace the Dana 35) and it has 3:54 radio my front is 4.10 (Dana 30)

Couple of questions

1. How would it act as is? DO NOT USE 4WD WITH OUT MATCHING GEARS! It would bind up the transfer case and cause major damage.

2. Which would be a better radio to switch to. If you have a 4 banger then look around into getting 4:10's in that 44. Until you can get matching gears disconnect your front drive shaft just in case so nothing bad happens.

3. Is the DS gonna need to be shortened? It all depends on your situation. Do you have a lift? if your still at stock height and the mj is at a JY you might want to go back and get that drive shaft and hell even the leaf springs seeing as its a metric ton.

thanks

Brandon

D44 carrier break is 3.73-down and 3.92-up. Thick gears to use the lower series carrier with 4.10's are a bit more pricey.

3.55 D30's are pretty cheap and swapping the front would probably be the cheapest, but swapping the D44 to 4.10 would be the best performance.

When I put a dana 44 in mine I used the stock drive shaft. My suspension is all stock and it worked just fine. comanche.gif

Probably because your NV3550 allows you more wiggle room. The D44 pinion yoke sticks out almost 1" farther (further?) toward the tranny/tcase so the drive shaft will have to be shortened. Unless you do a lift at the same time.

I head they might be loud. Yes I'm setting everthing up myself.

I'm gonna cut the old perchs off and welded new one's on for SOA.

If you will be welding on "new" perches, there's no need to cut the old ones off.

Will i talked to a buddy and he has a 88 XJ with a blown engine and it has a Dana 30 front with a ratio of 39-11 (3.55) and since the Dana 44 is in 46-13 (3.54) I think I'm just gonna swap the front ratio to match the back since his giving me the front for free.

thank for all the help :bowdown:

Well I can't get the pin out carrier. I have to get a punch and hammer just to barely move the pin then I notice the pin Does not have enough clearance from the gear? I've changed ratios before but not on a jeep. Little different setup then what I've seen. (I was thinking laying there HOT and pissed off trying to figure out the trick to it probably be easier to swap the whole axle out)