clock install

while picking up mirrors for my half doors, the 89 XJ had a factory clock as where i didnt. so i snagged it. well when i got home and went to put it in, theres no plug for it. i assumed there would be but i dug around and came up with nothing. shouldnt there be a plug for it in there somewhere or did i waste a few bucks????

You just have to run three wires - ground, constant power, and switched power. I did this using Go-Jeep's website as a guide. There may also be a dimmer wire, but you reallt don't need that one.

I didnt think mine had a plug, but it did, it was just really buried. If I were you, Id do a little more searching before I started cutting wires. Look in your fuse box too, there should be a fuse already in there for it. Pull it and clean it when you do your clock install. I put a perfect clock in mine and it quit working all of a sudden a minute after I installed it, so I assume it was just old technology fritzing out. I tore it apart and broke it trying to see if it was fixable. So I found a different clock, installed it, and it didnt work either. Thats when I noticed the fuse already in the box. I wiggled the fuse and the clock started working. Which means there was nothing wrong with the old one which was much nicer and brighter than the new one. Check your fuse!

thanks guys. i dug around pretty good, short of taking out the gauge cluster. all the plugs were there for everything else, just not that one. ill dig around more tomorrow cause it really is a cluster @#$% of wires under there. if nothing turns up ill follow what you said johnny or maybe ill just buy an external clock and mount it somewhere.

I think I remember Jeepco sayimg he had to pull his cluster to find his.

Actually, mine was behind the cluster, here's a pic I took when i found it:

Here you can see the cluster partially removed:

i don't think the PO would of cut anything,,,,though the wipers are hooked up to a switch and only go at one speed :dunno: . I'm the third owner and the second only had it for a month. original owner was an old guy who only used it to hunt. i think i lucked out on it. even though i know the fat kid (second owner) did slightly offroad it in that time frame.

anyway I'm bored as hell so i might go out with a flash light right quick. everything is already unscrewed, including gauge cluster minus the speedo cable, so it should be a quick find if its back there. wish me luck! haha

All MJs have the wiring for the clock, it is there unless a PO cut it.

I believe that 91 was the last year for the dash clock. That was also the year of the more desirable clock made by Nippon Seiki. After that, the clock was moved to the head unit. At least, that's how it is with Cherokees. Maybe 92 Comanches did have an option for a dash clock. (?) Mine had the clock in the radio.

well i found it. it was literally in the middle of a group of wires. i didnt even see it in there until i stuck my fingers through them. on the downside. one, the clock doesnt work. i put a fuse in and still nothing. two, i think i broke my speedo cable. i pulled it forward in the slightest to hook it up and the wire kept coming. hooked up it anyway, drove forward and nothing....awsome. :headpop:

I believe that 91 was the last year for the dash clock. That was also the year of the more desirable clock made by Nippon Seiki. After that, the clock was moved to the head unit. At least, that's how it is with Cherokees. Maybe 92 Comanches did have an option for a dash clock. (?) Mine had the clock in the radio.

You may be right Johnny regarding the 92 MJs. The correct white plug was there for the Nippon Seiki clock on my 91. It's unclear about the 92s. Maybe someone w. a 92 MJ will chime in. :D

the clock doesnt work. i put a fuse in and still nothing.

Did you put a bulb in it??

two, i think i broke my speedo cable. i pulled it forward in the slightest to hook it up and the wire kept coming. hooked up it anyway, drove forward and nothing....awsome. :headpop:

If you go to the other end of the cable and pull off the speedo gear housing you should find the other end of the cable. If not hold the sheath and push from the other end. It has a square end too. That square end has to be engaged in the T/C end, and the other square end into the gauge cluster. I thought I broke mine too until I went to remove it. It was still intact, it had just been pulled out of the T/C end.

didnt know the clock had to have a bulb. i half way pulled off the back cover on it and i didnt see any bulb in there or a spot for one. then again, it took me forever to find that plug, so your prolly right and i just overlooked it :shake:

same problem with my speedo. i fixed it though. :thumbsup:

If the clock works at all you should be able to see the display, if you look carefully, lit or not. The bulb socket is just a little plastic thingie. There are no wires to it, it's powered by a sort of mini circuit board. Look on the back, little white thing, twist it out, there's the bulb.