#%*&@! salt trucks

mjeff87

[rant mode/on]

Calling for nasty weather this morning, so I decided to run the MJ (bad clutch master and all) to work...even put on the new winter tires I picked up. On the way in, I pass a friggin' subcontractor for the state spreading rock salt and sand on the BARE roads...he plasters the front end of the Jeep and takes a nice chunk out of my winshield, which IMHO isn't gonna be able to be repaired :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: . So I gotta get a new winshield put in, oh joy....

State Farm (I'm waiting for them to open to call my agent) should cover it, but I'm still pizzed. The dumbass had no idea what he was doing, almost ran me off the road. If Id'a been in my car, I swear nothing would have happened to it....he was slinging that crap so hard it would have sailed over top of it! As it was, he ended up hitting the middle of the MJ's winshield...and he was spreading on a 2 lane county road, not an interstate!

[rant mode/off]

Thanks for listening...

Jeff

and it just keeps getting better....

In an attempt to save a little coin, I dropped comprehensive coverage on the MJ the last time we renewed our policy, so it's not covered. Agent says there's a snowball's chance in h#ll of me getting anything out of the state, either.

Maybe I'll run it past a glass shop and see if they can seal it, or I might try the do-it-yourself kit and see if I can seal it by myself. Anyone ever use one of them :?:

I really don't want all the hassle of changing the whole winshield out.

Jeff

Yep, those damn state employees.... ya know how they are don't ya??? Sorry, Jeff couldn't resist.

I don't know about the Communistwealth of Va, but here is a contractor or a governmental employee damages your vehicle they will cover it. I had to pay a couple of claims on dump trucks chucking rocks, several years ago.

It sounds like they have had the salt laying around and it got water into it. It will clump up, and those clumps get as hard as rocks. Sounds like the driver had no idea what he/she was doing though. You barely have to open the gate, and turn the spreader on very slow to adequately cover a road, especially a two lane road.

Funny, funny Bill :lol:

Called VDOT and they said to submit a written claim to the residency office, so I just whooped one up and am going to mail it out return receipt tomorrow.

Probably never see a dime, but at least I might get somebody cranked off up there, for a moment at least :wink:

friggin' state employees.....LOL

Jeff

Go to a junkyard and pull one. It's a pain, but I saved about $200.

MUCHO pain in the keester. I put a winshield in a Chevy Citation once, and that was once too many times for me.....

plus I know every one of those little plastic clips that hold the trim molding on are going to shatter if I'd pop it off. I'd rather a winshield tech have to worry about that than me :lol: I've been wanting to pull it all off anyways to paint it black (over the chrome) but don't want the hassle I know will come from it.

I might have found a local independant shop that'll do the epoxy repair for $30 or so, so I'm probably gonna go that route.

Jeff

p.s. Safelite quoted me $207.09 for full replacement (and that's them coming to me, not me to them). That seems like a good deal to me, but $$ is tight right now. I would have figured 350-400 anyhow.

the way to get a cheap windshield replacement is to call a place real early in the morning and ask them for a quote before the person giving the quote is comeplete awake and functional....my buddy got new glass for his car...they quoted him $95 installed for his car...they normally do his car for $350 or something like that..but they honored the screw up and he got cheap glass.. :lol: :lol:

Jeff.

I just thought of this, I have a spare windshield sitting in my garage, That I will let go cheap. :D PM if you are interested. My rig is getting ready to lose its front windshiled I think, and I don't need a spare anymore, cause my rig is just about to illegal to drive.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick....but I think I'm gonna go the $30 repair route. I REALLY don't want to mess with it.

I did add comp back on my policy (stinkin' $11.25 is all it cost :evil: what was I thinking!) It's just my luck that I'm gonna get it repaired/replaced and it's gonna get thunked again.

Jeff

Every year I have to give my Insurance company pics of my vehicles, and I think when I give them a pic of pong this yr, they are going to tell me it is to "modified" for them to insure :shock: , and if they say that, Iam going to have to pull it off the road :roll: Also after the cage is done, I think getting it inspected is going to pose a problem, especially with 2 windshield down tubes :D

it's fine, hell it's probably better maintained than most of the rust buckets around here. Find a different insurance company. State Farm has never asked me for a photo, hell, they didn't even inspect the Mj when I bought it, I just called and gave her the VIN.

Been with this insurance company for many yrs, so I get a heavy discount, plus my home owners is with them.

My rig is definately maintained, but read all your insurance policies carefully, most I have encountered have an exclusion/penalty for lift or altered vehicles.

Patrick

Been with this insurance company for many yrs, so I get a heavy discount, plus my home owners is with them.

My rig is definately maintained, but read all your insurance policies carefully, most I have encountered have an exclusion/penalty for lift or altered vehicles.

Patrick

It seems like this rumor surfaces ever few months. I have seen the specific language in State Farm Policies. If SF knows what you have done, then you are covered. My agent has seen my Jeeps. I helped one of the agents, lift his GC. My own agent just had his Ridgeline lifted..

Well I am with GMAC and they have a specific exclusion clause and ask the question when you fill out the application. Up til last yr they didnt say anything, but this past yr they asked for a picture of my trail rig. I think that was mostly cause I put a theft policy on it (just in case some one stole my rig for parts).

Patrick