Gas Tank Quandry

I've acquired MJ # 2 and need to replace the fuel pump. :banana: Unlike my other 89', I did not need to drop the tank to remove the pump. The pump installs from the side and is unbelievablly accessable. I suspect the tank has been swapped out of a Cherokee. Could someone please confirm my suspision or correct me please? :dunno:

No way an XJ tank fit in there.

All MJ tanks are side mount and should be accessible. Personally, I will never pull a pump without dropping the tank again, unless it's pretty full. I know you can get the sender out and back in without dropping the tank, but it's a PITA to get it lined up correctly and not have it leak with the tank in the truck.

Thanks for the correction on the XJ swap. Both units are 89 shortbeds. The 2 wheel drive fuel pump access is on top of the tank. Is that a factory set up?

No. It must have a tank from something else in it.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the information. I'll be swapping an OEM in the 2WD. Nice thing is, the bed is currently off awaiting paint. That makes the job a snap.

I've acquired MJ # 2 and need to replace the fuel pump. :banana: Unlike my other 89', I did not need to drop the tank to remove the pump. The pump installs from the side and is unbelievablly accessable. I suspect the tank has been swapped out of a Cherokee. Could someone please confirm my suspision or correct me please? :dunno:

dunno if its been "swapped" or not ...........but I just yesterday (and last week) replaced my fuel pump (yestrday,correcting a mistake i made from last week,Ugh) .....Replacing it WITHOUT dropping the tank ,to me was very VERY stressful. ...... So yestrday,aftre the truck acted like it were running out of gas almost ...I had to go back in & correct my mistake. THIS time,I loosened the 2 15mm strap bolts,allowing the tank to come down about 2" ,not much but it helped access the whole a bit better. I could even get to the hole with a flashlight & peek around the gas tank floor before gas fixation started setting in lol BE CAREFUL there* ....as someone else mentioned,perhaps get the driveshaft out of the way for better access. - I didnt,but probably should have. ....Sometimes taking a shortcut,can ultimatley make the job longer & harder when its all said & done.