Gas tank relocation

Again, with putting a 327 in my mj 4x2, I want true dual exhaust. Can't with the gas tank where it is. Since I do no 4 wheeling, I am considering moving it to behind the axle under the bed where the spare tire used to be, properly protected with a shield, of course. Measurements seem to indicate it will not hang down too far. Shouldn't be any fuel pressure problems because I will be using the mechanical chevy pump and the gas tanks used to be back there. My only concern, then, will be clearing the brake load sensing valve on the left side with a tail pipe over the axle. Can it be relocated? Will the the older non-c clip D35 system (as per picture in viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30207 ) provide clearance?

When I was doing the 97 swap on Onyx I had the bed off and debated putting it there. It would have probably been easier than keeping it in the stock location like it did. My truck was a SWB. The TJ is cut and angled just like the rear frame of a SWB MJ. You would have to figure out the pump and gauge wiring though.

When I was doing the 97 swap on Onyx I had the bed off and debated putting it there. It would have probably been easier than keeping it in the stock location like it did. My truck was a SWB. The TJ is cut and angled just like the rear frame of a SWB MJ. You would have to figure out the pump and gauge wiring though.

Are you talking the actual TJ (97-2006) or simply the wrangler, no matter the year? IRT fuel pump, will be using the chevy mechanical on the engine, so will have to figure out fuel level only.

If you're gutting everything, why not do the load sensing bypass too? Seems silly not to take that out of the equation.

Ya mean just eliminate it????

Yes. Real easy to do. There are quite a few writeups on the board here to do it.

Are you talking the actual TJ (97-2006) or simply the wrangler, no matter the year? IRT fuel pump, will be using the chevy mechanical on the engine, so will have to figure out fuel level only.

97-06 TJ.

The later model tanks are different on the TJ. I think 04 or something like that. ChryCo added some weird emissions stuff to the top of the tank. I used and 97 pump with a 01 tank. I went with a 22? gallon tank. It was the bigger of the two availble for the TJs.

97-06 TJ.

The later model tanks are different on the TJ. I think 04 or something like that. ChryCo added some weird emissions stuff to the top of the tank. I used and 97 pump with a 01 tank. I went with a 22? gallon tank. It was the bigger of the two availble for the TJs.

Thanks! I shall look for a 97-03 tank. Wouldn't mind a 18 or less gallon, though, since I'm shifting weight to the back of the pu. Stop more, but ....

I would le to know how you do this when you're done. Interesting

I am probably a couple of years away from getting this done. Won't do it until I have everything except the exhaust work in my garage, the engine rebuilt and ready to go in, radiator needed, etc, etc. Sorry!

TJ tank will fit there like it is made for it.

How does the fill tube fit with the stock tank being in front of the axle and the TJ tank going behind the axle?

I would hope a REALLY long connecting hose will do it. Have to see tank and go from there. Gee. Get an extra gallon in the connecting hose! cool!