stereo head unit wont work.

I have voltage all the way to the head units wiring harness but the head unit won't turn on when plugged in. It can't be a bad unit because I just bought it new and have tried this with two different units.

I also installed a new ground thinking it was that. Obviously my fuses are good if I'm getting power to the back of the units harness. What is wrong? Any ideas appreciated.

I checked with the Antenna Plugged in as well. I will check the fuse but I'm sure thats not the case cause i am getting power just won't turn on.

When I'm measuring voltage I'm only getting 11.66 volts so maybe there is to much of a draw somwhere in the hot wire... not really sure what else it can be

On some models it is necessary to reset them. Owners manual should have instructions. Involves removing the face plate, locating the reset button, usually behind the front piece and accessible thru a small hole. Just push a small wire, paper clip, or ball point pen into the hole.

how did you hook it up? did you cut the harness and wire them together? did you get an adapter? what wire do you have power on? in order for it to work you need 12 volts constant and 12 volts switched and a ground.

Alright i checked it again with the back up power, after resetting and another newly installed ground wire.

I bought an adapter harness that plugs into the original factory one.

I checked the constant and I'm only measuring like 7-8 v and nothing when turned off. Something dosent seem right here... Any ideas?

your constant should be just that, constant no matter what the key position is. that wire should go from the battery through the fuse and to the radio so it should have the same voltage as the battery.

other questions to narrow it down if that does not solve the issue.

so you matched up the colors on both the after market harnesses color for color? what kind of head unit? did your stock one you removed work fine? can you plug it back in and see if it still works fine?

check the fuses, back of the radio fuse, under the dash and under the hood if you have them. one may have blown but still allow some power through, swap them with a known good fuse.

where did you reground? and what wire did you ground? straight from the after market harness?

does the radio do anything when you plug it in (cd drive whining noise, any lights)?

I know that I had to run a new wire (I forget if it was switched power or constant power) but I could not get power to my stock wire for some reason.

Ya I thought it was weird that the constant wire didn't have constant voltage.

I did double check that I have the wires matched properly. The truck didn't come with a radio in it so I have no way of checking. My new ground is grounded at the same ground as the instrument panel ground. (Driver side metal part of the dash.)

The head unit is a naxa. And no flashing lights or sounds come from it when turned to to acc. I have checked fuses but I can always triple check.

So I'm thinkin it might be the constant wire from what your telling me. I just gotta figure out how to re route it properly.

Is there any safe method to make sure the unit itself is actually good?

you have power to the switched wire right? if so just take the constant wire (after market yellow) and put it on the switched (after market red) and turn the key on. it should turn on the radio if everything is working. and it will work fine it will just not hold any memory. if that solves the problem just run a new fused wire from the ignition harness constant 12 volts over to the radio cavity and hook it up.

alright sweet tried it out and everything works now. It was the constant wire. For now I'm just running it off of switch power. ill put a new one in one of these free saturdays haha thanks for all the help.

The way I ran my constant was from the battery and thru a plug n the fire wall with a fusable link. Reason I do it this waY is I had a 89 honda accord that I hacked into the wire harnes to get a constant and for some reason had a small dash fire from then on out if I had no power I run from the battery.