Going to buy a Comanche soon -- what should I look out for?

Others with more experience than me will probably jump in but rust is a big issue with old trucks. Not only exterior but interior rust under the carpet or vinyl. Broken or missing parts specific to Comanches can be difficult to find so look carefully from the cab backwards. The front has a lot of shared parts with Cherokee XJs. The 4cyl engine is no powerhouse but it is a decent and reliable motor if well maintained. To my knowledge, none are better than others except I believe the horsepower went up during the six years the Comanche was built. (86-92)

Good luck and welcome to Comanche Club! :cheers:

Thanks for the great suggestions!

A few times a month a 115k(ish) Comanche will pop up near me on Craigslist for around $2k.. so that'll be my price point reference.

Definitely going to make a checklist of stuff to check when I finally go.. I'm selling my Volvo S60 to buy the Comanche since I'm bored having something that doesn't need any work done ;)

If anyone else has some suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. See you around the forums!

Rust will be you biggest enemy with the Comanche. The interior floors under the carpet, rocker panels under the doors, cab corners and rear bed fenders are the known rust locations. It sounds like you are familiar with wrenching on a vehicle, so I wouldn't let a suffering drive train keep you out of a truck with a solid body.

Welcome to the madness :D

2k seems like alot to me. Mine is a 4.0 litre 5-speed 4x4 swb and I got it for 700 plus some DMV fees. and it's rust free. But I guess that it all depends on were your at.

welcome2.gif

Dang, sounds like a good deal!! How many miles were on it?

150k but had a new short block installed at around 100k due to a factory casting defect.

Stick to a mid 89 or later if you get a manual transmission, that way you will not have to deal with the Peugeout transmission....they are very weak and are extremely expensive to rebuild IF you can find the parts.

Stick to a mid 89 or later if you get a manual transmission, that way you will not have to deal with the Peugeout transmission....they are very weak and are extremely expensive to rebuild IF you can find the parts.

It's a 4cyl, it will have an AX4 or AX5 if it is a stick

My Very First Question: Why are you looking to buy a Comanche? Yes, it's cool. Yes, it's a Jeep. What I really mean is what do you want to do with the truck? Are you looking for cheap daily transportation? Are you looking to drive some mild off road places?

You must have some specific reasons for wanting to buy this 4 cyl Comanche with under 115K miles. Please advise, so we may give better thoughts to your specific requirements.

Is this truck 4 x 4 or 2 x 4? Long bed or short bed? Auto or manual. What year?

My Comanche is a 91 long bed, automatic, 6 cyl Big Ton package from the factory. SnugTop, trailer hitch on rear and on front. Has real Jeep bed liner and a real no slip bed mat

No plans to off road, I use it as a truck to take stuff to the dump from rentals, haul my new and old stuff.

Also added power windows, door locks, just because I could. Don't want to forget the bucket seat conversion. Things in progress? Floor lights from an XJ, rear view mirror from a late 80's GM with map lights. LED conversion for Comanche cab lights. Repair the A/C. Bigger 97+ electric mirrors on both sides.

Should have done the 97+ door conversion before repainting the truck.

Future wants/needs/dreams? Conversion to 4x4 with Toyota Tundra 6 speed automatic! Or I convert the truck to diesel power with a VW 1.9 TDI and get a real 30 mpg.

If I never do the TDI conversion, then a stroker will be done when the current H.O 6 is finished.

Bottom Line, you need to figure out what you want the truck to do for you.

Hey guys,

I'm going to purchase a <115k, 4cyl Comanche soon -- are there any trouble spots or recommendations I should look out for when I go to inspect the vehicles I find?

Also, and recommendations on the most reliable years to buy a 4cyl?

Thanks!

Zach

My Very First Question: Why are you looking to buy a Comanche? Yes, it's cool. Yes, it's a Jeep. What I really mean is what do you want to do with the truck? Are you looking for cheap daily transportation? Are you looking to drive some mild off road places?

You must have some specific reasons for wanting to buy this 4 cyl Comanche with under 115K miles. Please advise, so we may give better thoughts to your specific requirements.

Is this truck 4 x 4 or 2 x 4? Long bed or short bed? Auto or manual. What year?

My Comanche is a 91 long bed, automatic, 6 cyl Big Ton package from the factory. SnugTop, trailer hitch on rear and on front. Has real Jeep bed liner and a real no slip bed mat

No plans to off road, I use it as a truck to take stuff to the dump from rentals, haul my new and old stuff.

Also added power windows, door locks, just because I could. Don't want to forget the bucket seat conversion. Things in progress? Floor lights from an XJ, rear view mirror from a late 80's GM with map lights. LED conversion for Comanche cab lights. Repair the A/C. Bigger 97+ electric mirrors on both sides.

Should have done the 97+ door conversion before repainting the truck.

Future wants/needs/dreams? Conversion to 4x4 with Toyota Tundra 6 speed automatic! Or I convert the truck to diesel power with a VW 1.9 TDI and get a real 30 mpg.

If I never do the TDI conversion, then a stroker will be done when the current H.O 6 is finished.

Bottom Line, you need to figure out what you want the truck to do for you.

Hey guys,

I'm going to purchase a <115k, 4cyl Comanche soon -- are there any trouble spots or recommendations I should look out for when I go to inspect the vehicles I find?

Also, and recommendations on the most reliable years to buy a 4cyl?

Thanks!

Zach

Basically I need it for commuting.. no offroading. I'd prefer a 4cyl for fuel economy, a 4x2, and I'd prefer a shortbed (for aesthetics) but it doesn't really matter to me.